Heat for the coop

We're in Northern New Hampshire. No heat or insulation. I will admit I was shocked to see a touch of frost bite on our rooster when letting them out this morning as it's only gotten to 8 F last nights low. Usually the touch of frost bite isn't until the week of -10 to -30F in January so know immediately something was amiss. Yup, sure enough I wasn't diligent with cleaning the coop. Did that today and added fresh pine shavings to dry it up in there. It's the moisture along with cold that is the problem. Neglected piles of poo were obviously emitting too much moisture. With external attached nesting boxes I don't look in the coop enough to keep tabs on my duties but lesson learned.

ETA: The above poster made an important point. What conditions the hens are currently in you'll want to mimic and slowly adjust them to acclimate to how your going to maintain them. If you must use a heat source try a 60 watt red bulb. with a small coop that's all you'd ever need. Chickens thrive at 30F and if acclimated will forage outside even in winter. At most they want a bit of hay or straw spread in there run if uncovered to walk on the snow and ice. Mine this past cold week keep mainly under the coop so shoveled out the run and spread straw during my maintanence today.

Last edited:
the coop looks really nice! Good job!
clap.gif

The birds we are getting are use to a coop with no heat so the heat lamp will be used for only extreme drops in temperature such as below zero for a few days. The lamp cord is held up pretty well so if the clamp does fail it still won't fall (sorry, can't see that in the picture). I did purchase a 60 watt infrared bulb on Amazon, it will be here Friday, we were worried the 250 watt would be too much. I will tell my husband about chaining up also but after seeing all the responses from people who don't even use one we might just take it out and only use it if needed. I really like the thermo cube idea but does anyone know if it is okay to use on a socket that is outside? The one I found at a local store was for indoor receptacles only.

please buy a "thermocube" if you insist on using electric heat. it will keep the keep warm as long as the temp is between 35-40*F.

tractor supply type stores usually sell them or you could go on amazon if you prefer the net.

I use a thermocube for a small homemade water warmer made from terracotta, it's not to warm the coop.

also that heat lamp looks a little close to the roost, assuming taht board down the middle is the roast bar.
This is what I did, and it works like a charm. My heat lamp is directly over a waterer, several feet from the roosts.

Glad to hear that you are not using the 250W lamp. It is just unnecessary and burning money, especially in a un-insulated coop.

Making sure the coop is tight and properly vented, the birds should be fine.

How do you keep the water from freezing? My water heating source is the only heat in the coop, serving dual purpose. The other sources are the birds themselves. I heard each is good for 10W equevalent.

I do have light in the coop. It is for laying and is flourescent.

Just my two cents: my coop is 4' x 8', with an upstairs and a downstairs. I have two 250 red lamps hung upstairs at each end. I have 11 girls, 6 of which are almost 4 months old. The coop is in an aviary. I let them out of the coop every day, and if they are cold, they can go back up, which they sometimes do. I have one Andalusian, not cold hardy. She spends more time up than some of the others. It's what they are used to, so that's what I continue doing. It has been in the low teens here at night, and I feel that my girls are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom