Heat for the coop

LUVMYCHIKAS

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Eastern Shore of Md
I'm interested in ideas to heat our coop for the winter. Our coop will be insulated and plywooded by then and the chicken have very nice 4x6 perches to roost on to keep their feet warm. But I want a nice practical and safe way to add some heat. Any suggestions?

How cold does it get in your area? I live in michigan and dont heat my coops. if your power goes out your chixkens will be in worse shape since they suddenly have no heat. Chixkens are very hardy animals. As long as you have plenty of ventilation and dry bedding they should be fine.

Generally the coldest nights will be in the 20s but there aren't a lot of those. 30s at night and 40s during the day for a month or so. That's the worst of it and we'll probably get very little snow. Some years we get no more than a few dustings.
I have all bantams and a couple of the hens a very small. Shouldn't they have some additional heat source?

My personal opinion is not too, but that's just my opinion. I have silkies, de uccles, and a couple barred rocks. Did have sebrights till fox hit. If you decide to heat you could use a heatlamp SECURELY fastened in there. We get tons of snow and wind chills in the single and negative digits and they have survived with out heat. Like I said though, its just my opinion

I realize a lot coops on this site have electricity and it is needed when raising chicks.

That being said; I always cringe when I hear of electricity in a chicken coop for heat. It you want to help your birds then put in air conditioning.

Dry bedding, 120 volts, dust, feathers, a flighty or panic stricken bird, water maybe a frayed or improperly protected extension cord.

Totally unnecessary for birds that are cold hearty in most cases and have been raised on this continent for over 100 years with out it.
What could go wrong???

Accidents do happen that is why they put erasers on the ends of pencils.

I live in Canada was subject to -40º last winter.
No heat or light in coop no problems.

I am also aware not everyone will necessarily follow my lead.
My point is execute safe guards do not burn anything down or electrocute yourself and forget about heat in mostly all cases.

Ron MacKinnon

The only thing with heat lamps in the winter is when the electricity goes out that heat lamp will too. Chances of your hens making it through the night is slim! They adapt to the weather and temps! Hearty birds they are! They will be fine without a heat lamp :)

I live on the EasternShore, and I can tell you that you don't need any added heat. You don't need any insulation either. See my unheated, uninsulated, open air coop below.

900x900px-LL-5f969cf5_55557_img_1354.jpeg

I have concerns with a heat lamp, hence, why I posted for suggestions. I don't want a heat lamp in the coop. I want to rest easy knowing they are safe. However , my guineas are now trained to coop up when the light comes on at the edge of dusk. The chickens coop with no assistance but the guineas are not as intelligent. One evening the light (not a heat lamp) was inadvertently unplugged by my husband. When we got home late from the movies and I went to close the coop door all the guineas were sitting outside because the light was off. As soon as I plugged it back in they ran into the coop. The chickens of course were already roosted for the night. So I will have to maintain some sort of light, but it is and will continue to be very secure away from the birds. It sounds like I don't need to worry about a heat source. Problem solved. Does anyone use a heated waterer?

What a beautiful coop!!! Love the red! I've heard about heated waterer...I know you have to constantly check so its not frozen in the winter. I have no idea how the waterer works tho

Back
Top Bottom