Heat Illness and Drinking Lot of Water

Make sure she is only drinking Corid treated water. Dont give her anything containing thiamine. Blood in feces isnt a good sign. Continue to inspect her feces for blood. If there is blood in her feces tomorrow morning, I recommend purchasing SMZ-TMP to treat her. If she is under 5 pounds in weight, give her 1/4 tablet twice a day for 7 days. Use a pill cutter to quarter the tablet.
Here's where you can buy it:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=91F10ACA-FB33-44F4-9A6C-40FCD628F49B&q=fish smz-tmp

Chickens typically have more problems in wet places, which is why people often don't keep them with ducks. They can handle a little rain or misting in heat, but it's better to not let them stay wet long. The heat usually dries them out fast, so misting chickens in heat isn't usually a problem, but hot, wet, grass or mud can be.
Really, I had no idea? I am watering the grass to keep them cool. Should I not water the grass?

Make sure she is only drinking Corid treated water. Dont give her anything containing thiamine. Blood in feces isnt a good sign. Continue to inspect her feces for blood. If there is blood in her feces tomorrow morning, I recommend purchasing SMZ-TMP to treat her. If she is under 5 pounds in weight, give her 1/4 tablet twice a day for 7 days. Use a pill cutter to quarter the tablet.
Here's where you can buy it:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=91F10ACA-FB33-44F4-9A6C-40FCD628F49B&q=fish smz-tmp
Yes, she is only drinking Corid. I did give her a oral dose .3 mil of the Corid, she only weighs 3 pounds. Thank you for the recommendation, however, is this specifically just for fish?

Chickens typically have more problems in wet places, which is why people often don't keep them with ducks. They can handle a little rain or misting in heat, but it's better to not let them stay wet long. The heat usually dries them out fast, so misting chickens in heat isn't usually a problem, but hot, wet, grass or mud can be.
Thank you for the information it is much appreciated :)

Yes, she is only drinking Corid. I did give her a oral dose .3 mil of the Corid, she only weighs 3 pounds. Thank you for the recommendation, however, is this specifically just for fish?
The dosage is for chickens. The product is for fish. It's off label as are many other products we use for chickens. I've used it one or two times in my birds before. Otherwise you'd have to take your chicken to a vet for diagnosis. $$$
Corid is actually off label as well.

The dosage is for chickens. The product is for fish. It's off label as are many other products we use for chickens. I've used it one or two times in my birds before. Otherwise you'd have to take your chicken to a vet for diagnosis. $$$
Corid is actually off label as well.
thank you!

Just for your information: There are 9 types of coccidia that can infect chickens. Corid treats most of them except two that cause blood in feces. Only a sulfa drug will treat them. Sulfadimethoxine (requires script) and SMZ-TMP (no script needed.) Hope this explains it.
Just wait and see what her feces looks like in the morning...no blood, continue with Corid. If there's blood, it would be best to order the SMZ-TMP.

Back
Top Bottom