Heat lamp 250 watts ?

RubyStarzy

Songster
Jul 25, 2020
Hi My button quail eggs start hatching , Im set up and ready and waiting , i got a new bulb for my heatlamp and jist realized its 250 watts , glass thermometer says its 95°
is this ok or is that bulb to hot for button quail chicks , or does the watt not matter once the ground temperature is correct? Thank you

Attachments

• 20210118_085153.jpg
    20210118_085153.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 42
There are to many variables to answer your question. Is the brooder enclosed? What is the air temp outside the brooder? How big is the brooder?

If it gets too warm, raise the lamp. If it gets too cold, lower the lamp.

about 2 ft by 1 ft
its in my sitting room no draughts or open windows, It was just the watt of the bulb i was asking about the last bulb was only 100 watt but I had ordered a new bulb and this one is 250 watt
I have a thermometer inside so i,l keep a close eye on it ,
Thank you

about 2 ft by 1 ft
its in my sitting room no draughts or open windows, It was just the watt of the bulb i was asking about the last bulb was only 100 watt but I had ordered a new bulb and this one is 250 watt
Thank you
A thermometer is your best bet.

My brooder is in the barn. It can be below 0 or close to 70 in April. You never know. I get a 250 bulb and adjust the height as needed.

Last edited:
about 2 ft by 1 ft
Thank you
You’re good, watch the temp and chick activity. Aside from using more electricity there is no issue. Personally I like ceramic heat emitters so the chicks don’t have light 24/7.

You are going to probably need to lift the lamp more, and get the teddy out: it could catch on fire that close to the bulb.

the teddy was on the outside its just see through
When its higher temperatures was dropping but it stays at 99° as it is
so we put an extra smoke alarm downstairs and im after ordering a heat plate because this set up doesn't look as safe as i,d like it to be and its in our home so need to be safe ,
I was advised to use a heatlamp with button quail chicks instead of a heat plate because apparently they dont do well under the heat plate , is that true ?
Thank you

you just need to monitor the temp and chick behavior as mentioned earlier. And be careful of the drafts you don’t notice....i lost several chicks before i realized that the a/c and ceiling fan were creating just enough draft to kill even with heat lamp. as the chicks start to feather out, you may have to reposition or go to a smaller lamp in order to allow for a cooler area of retreat. I encourage people to be extremely careful with plates and quail. i’ve had several get lost in the brooder and/or get stuck between the plate frame and sides of the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom