heat lamp fire?

Pics
ut it's still good to know what a duck can survive, because sometimes people are so worried about an animal dying of cold that they make it uncomfortably hot. Much better to be actually comfortable, and if they live closer to the outdoor temperature they are more adapted and can play outdoors longer in the daytime.
Yes, this is a great point.

So, I have an analogy I usually use for people who want to give heat to their outside chickens who are already acclimated to the weather. I tell them to put on all of their winter gear, go out in the cold for an hour or two, and then come back in, leaving all their gear on for an hour or so to see how uncomfortable it could be. In your situation, I would suggest the opposite. Since your ducks are not properly acclimated to the cold (meaning they have not had a chance to grow their down coats),after spending the night in your warm, comfy house, I would suggest that you go outside without your winter gear for a couple of hours, maybe hang out near the heat lamp or heat plate for a bit and see how comfortable that would be. The point is, consistent temperatures - whether warm or cold - are far better for your birds than in and out. If you want them to be warm, then keep them in all the time rather than putting them out in the cold without proper acclimation.

....quietly wondering why the ducks aren't using the structure they use in the daytime at night as well....
I think ti because the day structureisnt secure, to protect from predators, and the poster didn't make one because she doesn't mind the ducks being inside. But, it may be a better idea to keep them out, because of the temp swings, and risk of fire.

@Duck mommy 2019 I understand that you are worried about your ducks being comfortable when they are outside. I agree that there is a difference between surviving and being comfortable, and since our ducks are our adored pets we want them to be comfortable. I have faced this decision myself. One of my ducks in particular has poor feather quality and is more likely to get cold. I'd love to put a heat source in my barn, but fires do happen. When it comes down to the harsh reality I would rather my ducks, as much as I love them, shiver and be cold than possibly burn to death.

What can you accept?

Back
Top Bottom