heat lamp fire?

I suggest you use a thermometer to measure the temperature where the ducks spend the night, and the temperature where they spend the day. Check the daytime one with no heat, with just the heater, and with the heatlamp.

Someone who knows ducks would have to help with how many degrees of change between day and night is OK for ducks, but measuring all the temperatures can help you figure out what you're dealing with.

I assume these are adult ducks, but I also assume that adult ducks--just like baby chickens--will do fine with one warm space and plenty of cold space, because they can move back and forth as needed. So you don't need to heat the entire space, just enough area for them to warm up if they feel cold.

I would really try to eliminate the heat lamp (fire risk). Or at least turn it off at night (because the ducks are inside during the night anyway, and because a fire during the night when everyone is sleeping would be even more dangerous than one in the daytime.)

What state are you in?

I doubt that your ducks need added heat at all. If I recall yours are all fully feathered and old enough to lay/mate.
Agreed, especially of they get accustomed to the heat, and they aren't accustomed to the cold anymore, and then the power goes out one nigh, you could loose your whole flock because they can't keep warm, and freeze to death. It really happens. I was thinking about getting a heater, and didn't for that reason. They are fine.

Agreed, especially of they get accustomed to the heat, and they aren accustomed to the cold anymore, and then the power goes out one night and you could loose your whole flock. I was thinking about getting a heater, and didn't for that reason. They are fine.

Yeah.....still want to know what state the OP is in. Totally don't want the street address but knowing the state would clear the weather questions up quick.

Yeah.....still want to know what state the OP is in. Totally don't want the street address but knowing the state would clear the weather questions up quick.
Yes, she did say that it gets into the negatives in fahrenheit, so probably pretty cold, BUT, if they are used to being warm, power out, suddenly negative degrees, then you are even MORE likely to loose THE WHOEL FLOCK! I would be very concerned about your heat!

if they are used to being warm, power out, suddenly negative degrees, then you are even MORE likely to loose THE WHOEL FLOCK!

Not these ducks--they sleep in the house at night. Yes, in the human house. The humans will notice before it gets cold enough to be dangerous for the ducks.

I do agree it would be better to eliminate the heat lamp for reasons of fire safety.

Not these ducks--they sleep in the house at night. Yes, in the human house. The humans will notice before it gets cold enough to be dangerous for the ducks.

I do agree it would be better to eliminate the heat lamp for reasons of fire safety.
Ohh, well I think them being inside is fine, I don't have any problem with that, but why do you need a heat lamp though? You should probably just get rid of it then, because if it is warm enough inside for you, its warm enough for the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom