heat lamp fire?

This thread doesn't state age, but I looked at other threads by the same poster, and their ducks all seem to be adults. I agree with your points about heat for ducklings, but these are well past that stage.

Quote from same poster, another thread, less than a month ago:

Quote from same poster, another thread, last week:
my oldest are almost two and the other three are between 6-8ish months

I know absolutely nothing about ducks except.....
1) they are birds
2) they have feathers and down
3) there are wild ducks
4) ducks like water
5) wild ducks DO migrate
My knowledge is limited, however, I would cut out heat to a minimum, and let the birds tell me if they are uncomfortable. They are made with feathers and down for a reason. Let them use that warm coat they naturally have.

My point is that these birds are still young and temperatures in the single digits are dangerous. I don’t care if you turned off your furnace or if birds can handle the cold (of course they can) but if these ducklings are still young, which I’m still not clear on age (I’m assuming 4-8 weeks?) then denying them a heat source in the middle of winter, while they still have not out-grown their brooder, is unfair. If they needed it at a time in their life that means they can get cold, and is what warms them up. Ducklings cannot be given added heat forever or else they will not learn how to adjust, but DENYING ducklings who haven’t outgrown the heat source is unfair. I don’t like to use heat lamps either but sometimes it’s the only way. Ducklings DIE because people say they don’t need a heat source, but in truth, they’re still young and shocking temperatures are hard on them when they don’t have the support of a heat source

:confused: You told me to turn my heater off.....I already had.....now you don't care. Ok

Nat confirmed that these birds are not unfeathered young ducks. (Thanks Nat)

Have a nice day.

surviving and being comfortable is different

Yes, and you can watch their behavior to see if they are comfortable. For example, give them access to space with a warm end and a cool end, and see how much time they spend where. Then adjust the temperatures until they seem to like the middle of whatever you are providing. The temperature that is comfortable to them may also change over time.

But it's still good to know what a duck can survive, because sometimes people are so worried about an animal dying of cold that they make it uncomfortably hot. Much better to be actually comfortable, and if they live closer to the outdoor temperature they are more adapted and can play outdoors longer in the daytime.

The ducks care about the actual temperature where they are, and about how it is different (or not different) from where they usually live. They do not care about the outdoor temperature when they are indoors, and they do not care what someone on the internet thinks about it :lol:

And of course they care about not being caught on fire, which is why I think it's better to help them gradually become comfortable without the heat lamp and preferably without the heater as well (may not be possible, but what I would try to aim for.)

And of course they care about not being caught on fire, which is why I think it's better to help them gradually become comfortable without the heat lamp and preferably without the heater as well (may not be possible, but what I would try to aim for.)
thank you. we may have to cut out the heat lamp anyways because i think the color of it makes them not be able to nap and annoys them

I don't know if this has been touched on yet, but apart from the risk of fire there is also the risk that the bulb can break, they get mighty hot and can do things like that, just a drop of water hitting it could do it or a failure in the bulb. all that hot broken glass would be awful for a duck to get into, those heated ceramic deals seem like a much better idea.

Back
Top Bottom