Heat lamp in a Power Outage

ShaliniW1985

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
So I have maybe a half a week old duckling in my care and he’s been under a heat lamp, but this morning, there was a state wide power outage and we don’t know how long our duckling can go without the heat. It’s not that cold here but we need to be careful.

I hope your power is restored soon :hugs . If your kitchen stove is gas fueled, then you still have heat available. Boil up a tea kettle, and place it inside the brooder that duckling is in. You will need to make sure there is a barrier like cardboard, or something similar to keep ducki from touching pot. After some time the pot will cool, and you will need to reheat. The radiant heat from that teakettle will warm up the brooder the best it can. (in dire circumstances)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Just saw your post, hope the duckling is OK. You do not want to start a fire, burn the duckling, or burn yourself so take care. If you can heat up a brick or something similar, wrap it in a towel or blanket and let the duckling snuggle against it. If you can get warm or hot water make a hot water bottle and wrap it.

Look up a "wooly hen". That's where you hang strips of cloth to form sort of a forest of cloth strips. The duckling can get inside that and it's body heat will keep it warm.

Put it under your clothing next to your skim.

Make a hover, a shoe box might work. Warm air rises. Put the opening down but raised a bit so the duckling can get in and out by squatting down. The warm air gets trapped in there. If you can, provide a heat source like a hot brick or water, wrapped so the duckling doesn't get burned. The duckling's body heat might be enough to keep it warm.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

So I have maybe a half a week old duckling in my care and he’s been under a heat lamp, but this morning, there was a state wide power outage and we don’t know how long our duckling can go without the heat. It’s not that cold here but we need to be careful.
u can do a rush and buy on or make a box wth wholes or maby turn the heather power full maby add havey blankets and edding but blankets with wholes or take a water bottle and put hot water so they can snuggle next to it maby add a burning tea kettle in the broder

Got hand warmers?
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 3.05.57 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom