Heat lamp in summer?

Rachel504

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Hello! My 15 chicks shipped yesterday and they were doing fine, but this morning I lost one that developed pasty butt. Another chick got it the first day and was fine after washing it off. I got them some sav-a-chick probiotic today to help, but I was wondering if the heat may have actually killed the chick? I live near Houston and the temperatures have been around the upper 90's. At night it goes down to around 80, but do they still need the heat lamp then? I just turned it on since they were all huddled in a corner, but then they started panting so I turned it off. They have space to move away, but it's a 250w bulb so maybe it's too much? The night before the chick died the heat lamp was on, and I'm starting to think that may have killed it o_o''

I'd appreciate any help with this, I really don't want to see another one go. Thanks!

On the surface, it sounds like they are too hot. I can promise you that a 250 watt bulb is going to be waaaay too much in the summer time.

If your temps are what you are describing, even at night, the only heat lamp I'd have is already packed away for the summer.

They huddle because you are 5000% times their height and instinctively are afraid of aerial predators, not necessarily because of the temps.
Put away the heat lamp and be vigilant on butt watch; you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Okay a follow-up question. We have been as high as 106 degrees during the day and mostly between 90-100 daytime and 65-73 at night. I have chics that will be two weeks old next year. Trying to figure out how and when to transition from indoor brooder box to outside coop. I had them out yesterday for a few hours but not sure about the benefit vs stress of being caught and moved twice. Yes I'm a chicken newby.

I move ours out of the shop at 2-3 weeks, temps are about the same as yours.

The little ones have a coop within the main coop and that's where they will stay until sold, or big enough to move to a separate transition coop before being introduced into the main run/coop.

The transitions we use are the "toss method". The little ones are good almost instantly, the bigger ones will take a day or two. Full size hens/cocks always fight it out for a few days but settle in very well once it's over. However, we have plenty of space and lots of hidey holes for people to get away from any bullies before the pecking order is re-established.

Good luck.

On the surface, it sounds like they are too hot.  I can promise you that a 250 watt bulb is going to be waaaay too much in the summer time.

If your temps are what you are describing, even at night, the only heat lamp I'd have is already packed away for the summer.

They huddle because you are 5000% times their height and instinctively are afraid of aerial predators, not necessarily because of the temps.  
Put away the heat lamp and be vigilant on butt watch; you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Ok thanks, I think I'll turn it off for tonight then.

The chicks are all doing fine after turning off the heat lamp last night. They're a lot more active and so far no more pasty butt. I'll continue to leave the heat lamp off since the temps won't be changing anytime soon. Thanks so much for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom