Heat lamp or no

Do they lay up under the heat? Usually Pekins are the first to show they don’t need heat by panting. Go by what your seeing if they aren’t laying under the lamp at all then take it away for good. If they use it some try turning it off during the day so they begin to acclimate to the outside temps. They will also feather in quicker.

Do they lay up under the heat? Usually Pekins are the first to show they don’t need heat by panting. Go by what your seeing if they aren’t laying under the lamp at all then take it away for good. If they use it some try turning it off during the day so they begin to acclimate to the outside temps. They will also feather in quicker.

They don't seem to lay under it. They are only locked in their coop at night. During the day they swim in our pond most of the day. I have noticed some panting. I just don't want them to get too hot. They are pretty big already and they do sleep together which I'm sure helps with body heat

I'd take it away. As long as they are dry before bed and not in a draft I am sure they are going to be fine. don't forget we always want pics too.
Agree on both, the unnecessary heat lamp and the pictures you owe us! ;)
Having a heat source is (imho) overrated for ducklings. They have a much faster metabolism than chicks, keets or poults, they are larger and they also like to pile up, regardless of heat or cold. I moved my 4 weeks old ducklings from my office to the garage in February this year. They had a heat-cave and a heat lamp and usually slept at the other end of the brooder, snuggled against each other. Remember, ducklings are wearing a built-in down jacket…

These pics were taken Aug 9th. So they are bigger now. I don't know why I'm having a hard time with this heat thing. I owned a couple ducks a few years ago and don't remember having this issue. So tonight I put a 40 watt bulb in there and then checked on them and they seemed to be panting a bit so I turned it off and they acted like they were afraid without it on. Have you had a duck afraid of the dark?

Attachments

• 20190809_111803.jpg
    20190809_111803.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom