heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coachwife2004, Jan 29, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    So I know you need a heat lamp and you are supposed to decrease the temp gradually. How exactly do you do that? do you change light bulbs or move the light farther away? Sorry to be so basic but I feel inept [​IMG]

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Both or either. I used a lower watt bulb when it was closer, upgraded to a higher watt bulb when it moved back, then lowered the bulb wattage again the next week... etc etc.. until it was at the right temps. I don't have a lot of "Hook and move back" space for my lamp so I used different wattage of bulbs to help simulate that effect.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    You can just raise the height of the heat lamp higher in the air to move it further away from the chicks. [​IMG]

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband put a 250 watt red heat lamp on a dimmer switch...it is extremely easy for me to control the temps.

5. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it depends. When I get chicks early (March/April) I start with a 250w lamp and adjust the height to control the temp. But as it warms up in later April I switch the bulb to a 150w and adjust the height for temp.

I would imagine in Texas you wouldn't need a 250w bulb would ya?

6. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    i dont think so it will be 60 degrees tomm!![​IMG]

7. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is a great idea.

Has anyone rigged up a thermostat to regulate their lamps in a homemade brooder??

8. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I started off with a 100 watt bulb the first 1 1/2 weeks, then they got too hot so I moved it up some. Then I figured it was a waste of electricity so I changed the bulb to a 60 watt. I don't even have a light on them anymore (3 weeks old) but they are inside.

9. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I figured that they can move in or back away to find their own comfort spot as long as it's warm enough in the warmest place...... am I wrong on this? [​IMG]

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

That's exactly what they do...they find the spot that's most comfortable for them, that's why you put the heat lamp on one side and let the other side stay cooler. But, if they are all staying far away from the light...then it's too warm and you need to lower the temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by