heat lamp

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.

Thank You my fellow Cheesehead. Good to know. What did you do about freezing water? And did you still get eggs? And nobody had any frozen giblets-I mean digits-uhm, waddles, combs, or feet?

when we lived in CT my chickens, about 20 of them, all free ranged and ate snow , and i would put fresh snow into a large bowl in the coop for the night , the next day it was back out for them to free range all day long, and in any weather i might add, but the coop was always open for them, i don t really know which breeds i had they were all given to me that's how most people i knew back then in the 1970's got their chickens , we gave each other hens , but mine were mostly all red hens , possibly sex links i believe , and my hens laid eggs into old age & were all very healthy. until i gave them away to a friend just before moving to FLA , and in fla we got more chickens....lol.. its hard to live with out chickens....lol.... if you are chicken addicted....lol.. and because i really love my chickens ...lol..so for all you chicken addicted friends out there , aint that the truth....lol...
jumpy.gif
D.gif
lol.png
thumbsup.gif
wink.png
take care
frow.gif

We are in northern Alberta and bought our first hens this summer. We converted an old playhouse - not insulated - into a coop. We were worried about the -35C weather but we keep reading NOT to heat.
1f633.png
. I have a trouble light hanging inside for the humans during the early morning and late afternoons. Maybe leave it on when the temp dips? Instead of an actual heat lamp?

We had a broody hen and no matter what I did I couldn't get her out of it. She had been broody for several weeks so we went to the local IFA and got 3 one day olds. The temp suddenly dropped the past couple of days. Not bad, only about 40 at night but I know new hatchlings need to be at 85 degrees for a couple of weeks. I found one of the new chicks dead this morning. I don't know if she was getting enough heat. The IFA suggested I hang a heat lamp about 4" off the floor of the coop with a 60 watt bulb semi close to where the hen keeps the babies. Does anyone have opinions on this or any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom