Heat Related Deaths or complications due to the heat.

Quote:
I didn't think of a bird bath but that is a great idea. I have one in the front yard. I will move it to the chicken yard as soon as I get home. Thanks for posting your idea.

Ironmaiden was right in saying "There just isn't alot you can do besides what we are doing here on this site, sharing info and trying the best we can".

I will be putting Coop de la Ville's idea in motion as soon as I get home. Thanks.

I had a young cochin get wedged between a lattice fence and a large pile of wood. Didn't notice her there for a couple days. She got lucky that she was in the shade as the heat index has been over 100 degrees. When I found her it was about 9pm and she was so stuck I had to remove the entire pile of wood and cut the fencing around her. She was skin and bones and very wobbly...falling over and weak. I immediately put her into a bowl of "mild" temperature water so as not to shock her system.....she drank and drank and drank...then put her into a brooder in the garage with a big bowl of food and waterer with mild temp water. She has bounced right back, although it will take some time to get her condition back.

24277_downsized_0801002138a.jpg

She got lucky as I expect she would have died the first day if she had not gotten "stuck" in a shady spot.

This was my favorite Delaware Nellie that I lost due to this horrid heat:) It has been over a month and I am still broken hearted. I miss her so much. As you can see if you leaned over she would just jump on your back or sometimes would just fly on our shoulders. Here she is on my son's back. RIP MY SWEET SWEET NELLIE!
hit.gif

37732_nellie.jpg

Quote:
I agree for the heat especially galvanized are better. However, you cannot use ACV in them or they'll rust!

I am fortunate (so far) as we are only on our second heat wave starting today of a few days in a row in the nineties. I just can't imagine the horror you all are going through. Is this common in the summer? I honestly don't think even I could survive if it were as I am no longer used to such heat. I am just so sorry for all of you.
sigh.gif

Quote:
I agree for the heat especially galvanized are better. However, you cannot use ACV in them or they'll rust!

I am fortunate (so far) as we are only on our second heat wave starting today of a few days in a row in the nineties. I just can't imagine the horror you all are going through. Is this common in the summer? I honestly don't think even I could survive if it were as I am no longer used to such heat. I am just so sorry for all of you. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/sigh.gif

Coop de la Villa- Thank you for the kind words. It has certainly been a horrid summer here. where are yo located exactly? I think it has been hot in most places. I have friends in New York and they said it has even been hot there. Now granted they don't have the terrible humidity that we have here but it is hot all over teh place.

chickerdoodle - I have plastic waterers with vitamins and electrolytes in them and then I alternate and put ACV in them. I have metal waterers inside the coops as well. I have so many other buckets out as well with the vitamins and electrolytes in them as well. Not to mention the kiddie pools I have for my geese. My chickens totally freak if I put fans in the coops or runs (but they don't stay in the run during the day) I lost my Nellie when I wasn't free rangin them. I decided that after I lost her we modified that coop I found her in and then I started to let them outside during the day and locked in their coops at night. I don't want to lose anymore and I wish I had done it before and then maybe I may not have lost Isabella or Nellie. I am afraid to lose one to a hawk or some other predator but they are so happy now and they love it outside of their runs and coop.

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm wondering. I've had a BO die a few months ago, another a few days ago, and now my BLRW is I think not eating well, and may be heat stressed. If she isn't very active tomorrow, I'll bring her in the house.

Well I sat in the coop/pen today, and my BLRW won't go near the food or water, looks like the other chickens have taught her that it's off limits-even when she's alone! I can see she wants to. So I moved her in with the bantams and she is eating and drinking like crazy.
I added a mister and it helps big time!

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm wondering. I've had a BO die a few months ago, another a few days ago, and now my BLRW is I think not eating well, and may be heat stressed. If she isn't very active tomorrow, I'll bring her in the house.

Well I sat in the coop/pen today, and my BLRW won't go near the food or water, looks like the other chickens have taught her that it's off limits-even when she's alone! I can see she wants to. So I moved her in with the bantams and she is eating and drinking like crazy.
I added a mister and it helps big time!

Well that's a shame that she won't go near the food and water. Bad chickies for teaching her that it's off limits. You should definitely have a round table discussion with them. Glad to hear that she is doing better with a different group. I'm sure that they will love the mister.

Things are a little better here now... but we had 2 weeks with daytime heat index 105 -116 and night time lows with a heat index of 97!! insane

Anyway... I hooked up a small fan in the chicken house. Outside I put an upside down rubbermaid tote lid and filled it with water - they love wading and laying in it. I also spray the run down to almost mud at least 2x a day because the hard packed dirt just radiates heat. I left them out to free range so they could get in cooler places, and in the evenings when I shut the run I used a small shovel to turn over the dirt in the shade.
My girls don't like cold food except for yogurt (weirdos) but I did feed them fresh cut watermelon and yogurt.

Thank God, I have not lost any to heat.

Back
Top Bottom