Heat source in coop

danamillette

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
Good morning!
I am looking for some ideas for a heat source in my coops. I live in northern Wisconsin and the winter nights(and some days!!) can get quite cold. Nearing zero and below. I currently have a 4 by 8 coop, with foam insulation and covered so they dont peck it. Someone has told me to simply use a 100 watt bulb. First question, wouldnt that keep them up at nite? Could I use a red light? Any advice?
Thanks!

I use 150 watt heat lamps--I've used both red & yellow. It doesn't seem to make a difference to the adult birds, the color of the lights. I hang two per side of my 8 x 8 coop. One is lower -- thus hotter than the other one, which is higher off the floor/roosts. I just run an extension cord out & I have a power strip/surge protector attached to the ceiling in there. I have no insulation (I might, later, though) and this will be the third winter in that coop.

You will also gain a little heat by using an electric heater uner a metal waterer. Be careful in setup, as with lights, you have to avoid bedding. Ours is being raised up on a patio block with 4 cinder blocks underneath, and the cord sheathed in a conduit.
cool.png

Last edited:
That is true, too! Our coop is 8 x 8 x 8 so the lights are pretty far up. The temp last year under the warmest light was about 80' degrees. The entire coop doesn't get heated up too much because it's too big, not insulated and has two doors which are not covered that lead to the runs. My issue will be how to heat my mini coops, without overheating them.

Quote:
The chickens themselves are a fairly good heat source...
wink.png
Seriously
smile.png

You can build an aluminized-bubblewrap enclosure above the roost to help hold their body heat near them at night. People go thru colder winters than yours without heat so I would not assume it is necessary (although it does depend on coop design, management style, how many chickens, what breeds, etc)

Otherwise, a red light above the roost can help.

Good luck,

Pat

Thanks for the info. True that I dont want them to be too warm. Just comfy. I just dont want the light to keep them up!

LynnP what strength/type bulb do you use?

Back
Top Bottom