Heat Stress Recovery

kaydeetee86

Songster
Jul 12, 2020
Kansas
Hello all,

Two days ago, of my Lavender Orpingtons decided that the perfect first time to go broody was in 92° heat. I saw her in a nesting box when I got home from work, but thought she was just laying an egg.

When I went to do my final check, I noticed that she was still in there. I went to collect the eggs under her and put her up on a roosting bar. The first thing I noticed was how HOT she was. I realized when I picked her up that she couldn’t stand. Her legs were limp.

I’m thankful that I knew what to do. I rushed her inside and got her into some cool water. She wasn’t drinking on her own, so I gave her some fluids and left a cup of water next to her before I went to bed. I wasn’t sure if she was going to make it through the night or not, but she did.

She was resting in the house all day yesterday. She’s alert, and as of last night she can walk again. She eating, drinking, and pooping normally. She talks to me every time I walk by her.

My question: when do I take her back out to the coop? Right now it’s about 80°, and extremely muggy. (The joys of the Midwest…) I don’t want to put her back out there too soon, because I know she just had a massive trauma done to her little body. But I also don’t to keep her in the house longer than I should.

Any insight would be very appreciated. Thank you!

If she's recovered, and it's cooler out I would return her. Perhaps in the evening as it's getting cooler and birds are going to roost. See how she does.

Thank you! She did well, and she’s acting like her old self.

I checked them when I went home for lunch today… and of course she’s in the box again, sitting happily on a pile of eggs. I’m going to have to start shutting the door for a while.

Orpingtons. I swear. She’s so lucky she’s cute.

Back
Top Bottom