Heat Stroke?!

Nov 1, 2021
I have a 2 year old olive Egger that I think may have heat stroke. I found her panting and laying in the coop floor Tuesday morning. I have her inside since then in the ac. Tuesday all she did was drink electrolyte water. Now she is eating and drinking and even laid an egg overnight. The problem is she can’t stand or walk without loosing balance. Has anyone had a hen fully recover from heat stroke? How long did it take? Could she possible be unable to walk again?

Thank you!!

I have a 2 year old olive Egger that I think may have heat stroke. I found her panting and laying in the coop floor Tuesday morning. I have her inside since then in the ac. Tuesday all she did was drink electrolyte water. Now she is eating and drinking and even laid an egg overnight. The problem is she can’t stand or walk without loosing balance. Has anyone had a hen fully recover from heat stroke? How long did it take? Could she possible be unable to walk again?

Thank you!!

Is she still alive?

I lost a pea-comb rooster yesterday (heat index 110). He had shade, water, breeze, food. He was ok at 1:30p when I checked on everyone and refreshed waters. Dead at 8:30pm when I got home :(
I’m so sorry to hear about your roo! My girl did make a full recovery. It took a week of her inside in the AC to get her strength back. The weather has been brutal this year.

I had an olive Egger die yesterday- found her in the coop on the floor when I got home yesterday evening. I presume heatstroke as she’s seemed fine. Temps have been 100-108 plus index about 2 months - it’s just tough…. My saddest heat death (only other) was a few years ago. We had a hen who regularly went broody and had a propensity for sitting on other hens in the nest box. One 113 degree day I removed her from the box and discovered a head hen under her.

Back
Top Bottom