Heat Syncs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3forfree, Feb 17, 2011.

1. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I have thoughts of using water bottles or rocks for heat syncs in my homade bator. Anyone else use these, and have any likes or dislikes. I will also use a container of water and sponge for humidity as this worked last time. I didn't have anything for a heat sync on my first attempt at hatching last year. Thanks.

2. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    anything heavy, non-porous. I have a homemade incubator, and I jsut fill all the nooks and crannys with whatever I can find, bottles filledwith water, marbles, 5lb plastic ankle weights...... Ziploc bags filled with sand work great, becuase you can fit them into all sorts of areas and they don't leach moisture. Just be careful with bricks, pavers...because they can sometimes "soak up" moisture.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Almost anything can be used as thermal mass. If water is used make sure it is sealed. Rocks an sand will also buffer humidity of not sealed. If they are wet humidity will be high. If they are dry humidity will stay low. But once you get the humidity up to where you want they help keep it there.

4. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    We use bricks, but definitely keep them dry. They work great as I hand turn the eggs (carton method), opening 5 times a day.... I'm sure temps build back up quicker than if they weren't in there.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    One thing that is really easy and seals great is a glass mason jar filled with water and a lid put on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by