Heat???

chickenlady81

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Weare, NH
At what age do you stop providing heat to your ducks and letting them live without it? I have some ducks that I was told were 3 weeks old when I bought them but seeing someone else's ducks mine dont seem that advanced? Temps have been in the 70's and 80's during the day but dipping to the 60's at night. I have had them without heat for almost a week and they seemed to be fine but now im concerned and dont want to get them sick. Can someone post pictures of there Pekin ducks for me and any advice will be great!
Thanks Kathie

Mine have been outside in temps like that since they were 1 and 2 weeks old. They have a big dog house to go in at night, and there were about 20 of them when I first moved them out, so there were plenty of warm bodies to snuggle up to.

There is a guide to what heat should be provided starting at 80 degrees and going down by 5 degrees per week of age....But of course that depends a lot on the climate where you live- and ducklings in the wild dont get any other than from the mother - In summer I give mine heat for around 2-3 weeks- and then only at night- but in the cooler months they have heat provided until they are around 6 weeks old- generally by that age- they dont tend to sit under it much- But I would rather them have the warmth if they want it.

Back
Top Bottom