Heated Water Bowl - Fire Started in Indianapolis, killed 6 chickens and 60k damage

So sorry to hear this. This is our first year keeping chickens and I've been afraid of electrical to the coop from the get go. We would have to run a heavy cord and the coop is too close to our house if the worse ever happened. The girls seem to have acclimated to their first winter and we just run water containers back and forth several times a day when it's real cold, especially when they're not out like today. I can't believe they're even laying eggs, but that slowed down a few days ago with the four that were laying daily.

Unfortunately that doesn't work when you have 30 chickens,you kind of need something to keep the water from freezing.

How sad for the chickens and the owners. I use a small plastic bucket and use a small heater meant to keep birdbaths open. It works out good.

I still think that the wiring is of larger concern though. Most folks opt to get cheap extension cords that are not rated for outdoor use and then proceed to plug them into unsecure outlets. Really just a fire waiting to happen.

If possible, it would be best to use one length of cord from start to finish. And, if you can, protect the plug at the bowl from weather and bedding.

The use of extension cords is a horrible idea, extension cords cause more fires a year than you'll ever know. If you need power at your coop, run permanent wiring. Why anyone would invest hundreds of dollars in a coop and equipment to care for their chickens and a hundred or more dollars in purchasing their livestock/pets (whatever you deem them) and then run extension cords to power the equipment to care for them in the winter is silly at best.

Background on my profession so you understand I know what I'm talking about.... I fight fires for a living, every third day.

A fireman 2-3 days a week huh, are you a reporter for fox news the other 5, because you took my statement completely out of contex? I was replying to someone stating that they currently use three extensions cords to run the length from their house to their coop to provide power. In their case, one cord is better than three. Obviously a permenant line is more safe, but not everyone can afford to pay an electrican or has the abality to do this. Also, if you have seen a cookie tine heater or bowl heater like the ones being discussed, they typically have a very short cord and will not reach an outlet, so an extension cord is often used. So again, I will say, make sure to get an outdoor rated cord if its needed.

Sounds a bit harsh, sorry, just poking fun. My best friend is a fireman and I know you can take a jab. I'm a contractor by trade, by the way, and completely agree with you that running UF is a far better option.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with you JACK E Chinese crap a complete rip off I've use cookie tins and have for a few years i have 1 in the coop and 1 in there run,I never had a problem and they work great.
You won't have a problem EVER until you do.

I never had a problem and then THIS:

No cookie tin heaters ARE NOT SAFE.

The fire marshall told me never, ever use something that isn't tested and proven by an electrician. I will never use them. I had a bunch of them going when the fire happened. We had overloaded extension cords and lost every. single. soul.

Please don't take the chance. Be safe. Dust EVERYTHING that is electrical. Lightbulbs, heaters, cords, plugins, etc. You can never be too safe!

If you have exposed wire, please do something to ensure mice don't chew through it... That can also start a fire. Hay around electrical outlets can start fires.. Please visit my fire safety thread for some more tips.

Last edited:
First of all I can appreciate your passion about this subject and am sorry for your loss,I don't know what your set up was so I cannot comment.I do not have several extention cords I have 1 that has double outlets on the cord it is run along the ceiling,as it runs down the wall and on the floor it is cover by molding< so no exposed wires> as it connect to the cookie tin it is under the base which is fire bricks that are used for a woodstove there is a 60w bulb with an outdoor rated socket in the tin which sits on the brick.By the way the cord is plugged into a gfi outlet located outside my garage that was installed by a licensed electrician and for outdoor use so please no what your talking about before pouncing on someone.

This applies to the last post. sorry about your loss. im a hvac service tech and i am very worried about adding any electric to my coop. the straw dust is very combustible, only takes a small arce spark. im not sure what a cookie tin heater is but i know you never ever use anything electric that is not UL listed and designed for that specific purpose. i would run a uf home run to the coop- no extension cords over five feet, gfi, noncombustible surface, no light bulbs. I fill the water pan daily and keep it inside the coop. i live in the eastern panhandle of wv and this will be one of the worst winters in a few years.

This applies to the last post. sorry about your loss. im a hvac service tech and i am very worried about adding any electric to my coop. the straw dust is very combustible, only takes a small arce spark. im not sure what a cookie tin heater is but i know you never ever use anything electric that is not UL listed and designed for that specific purpose. i would run a uf home run to the coop- no extension cords over five feet, gfi, noncombustible surface, no light bulbs. I fill the water pan daily and keep it inside the coop. i live in the eastern panhandle of wv and this will be one of the worst winters in a few years.
Exactly, thank you for commenting!

First of all I can appreciate your passion about this subject and am sorry for your loss,I don't know what your set up was so I cannot comment.I do not have several extention cords I have 1 that has double outlets on the cord it is run along the ceiling,as it runs down the wall and on the floor it is cover by molding< so no exposed wires> as it connect to the cookie tin it is under the base which is fire bricks that are used for a woodstove there is a 60w bulb with an outdoor rated socket in the tin which sits on the brick.By the way the cord is plugged into a gfi outlet located outside my garage that was installed by a licensed electrician and for outdoor use so please no what your talking about before pouncing on someone.
Your set up sounds extremely unsafe. You can continue doing what you are doing, but the risk is there.

Back
Top Bottom