Heated Waterer opinions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farmgirl217, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've used the plastic poultry waterers and they just give out after a year of service. If you're lucky to have one make it a year the plastic will turn brittle from sun exposure and break anyway.

I used black rubber livestock bowls for many a year and they work well. Turn over and stomp out the ice when solid and the black solar gain keeps water wet for most days. Past few years have been using heated dog bowl for the deep of winter. Works great and has lasted two winters now. It's really only used three months of the year. Run an extension cord to the covered section of run.

2. mosse71

mosse71 Songster

Oct 18, 2016
    n. maine
    i have to use 5 gal. buckets w/ holes cut in the sides. darn ducks and geese always try to swim in those rubber bowls and flood the coop. can't put outside as our 5ft.of snow buries them and its way too cold to put water outside period. nothing stays liquid for long at -30f!

3. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I live in northern Montana. In 3 winters of keeping chickens I have never had my water freeze and it has gotten to -22 F some nights. I use a 10 gallon semi clear plastic tote with lid (some use a 5 gallon bucket instead), horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is okay to use in plastic. This is kept outside in the run that is covered and that has 3 sides covered in clear vinyl shower curtains. I water once a week for 12 birds.

4. mosse71

mosse71 Songster

Oct 18, 2016
    n. maine
    problem is i can't get electricity in there because the coop is on the other side of the property and i don't have any outlets to that side of the house.

5. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Sorry. When you said you'd tried all kinds of water heaters I assumed you had electricity. Wish I knew what you could do. I am so fortunate to have an outdoor outlet near the coop.

6. chicken vet girl

chicken vet girl Chirping

Jun 30, 2018
    Have you tried running a long outdoor extension cord? My coop is probably 20 yards from house and that is what I use in the winters. Just be sure to keep the ends of the cord protected from moisture.

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have two coops and run two 1 hundred foot cords to each coop. My coops are 30 and 50 feet from my house. I too don't have a outlet on the back of my house, only in the front and side of the house.
    It barely reaches the far coop. If it didn't I would use two with a waterproof cover in the middle. Available at Home Depot next to the green outdoor extension cords for Christmas lights. My two coops this morning. 20181027_064754.jpg . I keep a spare hundred foot cord in the basement, I need to get another one now that I have two coops. I ran over the cord last winter with the snow blower. Forgot it was there. GC

8. Kat2141

Kat2141 Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Windsor, NY
    Great idea with the jug! I use a heated dog dish as well.

9. Kat2141

Kat2141 Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Windsor, NY
    here is a possibility... you would have to put some kind of cover with holes in it over the bucket to keep the ducks from swimming but it might work for most of the winter, but maybe not the rare -30 nights. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/alternate-method-to-prevent-water-freezing.73180/

mosse71 likes this.
  10. Ibchduckin

Ibchduckin Chirping

Jun 14, 2016
    Well I have tried the 5 gallon bucket with the water cups attached and a submersible electric heater but the cups freeze solid, so 80 dollars later I am going back to get heated dog water bowls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: