Heated Waterer opinions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farmgirl217, Nov 10, 2017.

1. RonP

RonP Crowing

I live in central NJ, about 10 miles west of the coastline. That said, I am subject to occasional Nor’easters with high humid conditions and an occasional 12 plus inches of snow. My cold season temperatures usually range in the 20 to 40F range, occasionally dipping into the teens, but very rarely below 0.

"Cold snaps", sustained temperatures below freezing, could easily last a few days, occasionally a week or more.

Coldest coop temperature recorded in the last dozen or so years was -6F where daytime temperatures reached the low teens. Perhaps 2 or 3 times in the last dozen years have I witnessed this occurrence (below 0F ambient temperatures).

My birds, water, and eggs, were still fine, nothing frozen. That was about 2 seasons ago, I have since stopped worrying about the cold. Everything is on autopilot. :)

Bryant Redhawk likes this.
  2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Bryant Redhawk likes this.
  3. chicken vet girl

chicken vet girl Chirping

Jun 30, 2018
    My waterers only freeze occasionally in the winter. Although I don't have a heated waterer, I prefer my chickens have warm water in the winter. What temperature should their water be?

4. birdlegs7075

birdlegs7075 Chirping

Oct 18, 2018
    East Tennessee
    I would say anything above 60F will grow algae faster.

5. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Crowing

Apr 12, 2011
    My Cottage
    For the first time in almost 20 years of chicken keeping, I finally bought one of those metal heated bases. I have a plastic waterer though so I also bought a large terra cotta saucer. I placed that on the heater and the waterer on the saucer. It hasn't been cold enough yet to see if this will work, but fingers crossed! I am tired of lugging warm water out every morning all winter long.

mosse71 and Folly's place like this.
  6. Bryant Redhawk

Bryant Redhawk Songster

May 11, 2015
    Vilonia, AR. USA
    As long as the plastic doesn't get to hot that should work just fine.
    If the plastic waterer seems to be in danger of softening or melting just add a second terra cotta saucer with a thin layer of sand between the two.

7. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Crowing

Apr 12, 2011
    My Cottage
    Thank you for the tip. I am hoping the saucer doesn't get too hot. I will be watching it closely. My heater doesn't turn on until temps hit 35 degrees and then it goes off automatically if it goes above that, so I am not expecting that it will not be on for excessive amounts of time, but you never know when it comes to weather.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  8. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I've been using the metal waterers on top of the heated bases, and haven't tried what you are doing this year. Given that it's probably a lot colder here, I'm still very interested in your results. It would be nice to use the plastic waterers in winter too.
    Mary

9. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Crowing

Apr 12, 2011
    My Cottage
    I will keep you posted. I have 4 large plastic waterers and did not want to get into purchasing yet more of them. So we shall see. Still in the 40s here at night so it hasn't had to come on yet.

10. mosse71

mosse71 Songster

Oct 18, 2016
    n. maine
    I've tried every type of water heater up here but all freeze. unfortunately even though i give water 2xs a day, most times they have to eat snow in between waterings. the realty of keeping birds in n. Maine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: