Heated waterer

Oddly enough... though I do use black rubber pans for water... I have never had an issue with my flock freezing feet or wattles because of it.

:idunno

I like the black rubber pans...mostly because I have busted the other things I have used (metal waterers and heated dog water bowls).

We bring water out 2 times a day.

If the water starts freezing solid in under an hour, we then start using a stock tank deicer that is safe to use on rubber and safe to run dry.

I've never had frostbitten or frozen feet or toes either, but it comes up on the sad Emergency thread every winter. Somehow it's occurring out there, and open water dishes seem like likely culprits.
Mary

My chickens do not get in their heated dog dish. Why would they? It's not like a hot tub or something. It is just slightly above freezing.
dog bowl.jpg hot tub chicken.png

For safety reasons, I strongly recommend that you buy a commercial product and not build one on your own. Our company doesn't manufacture a heater at this time, but we've done enough research on the subject to know that cords, plugs, plastics etc are more complicated than one might imagine. Not everything was intended for outdoor use and UV sunlight, changes in temperature etc. all have a detrimental effect on components. It's not worth the risk of getting a shock or starting a fire to save $20.
Even a commercial heated waterer could be a fire hazard depending on how the power was run to it.

This has worked for me over 4-5 winters now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

Back
Top Bottom