Heated waterer

I use a tote with lid I bought from Walmart, horizontal nipples (not vertical), and a stock tank deicer rated for use in plastic. Most expensive part of the system is the deicer at about $40. However, my deicer is now working on its 5th year of service. The 11 gallon tote means it only needs filled once a week for a dozen birds in winter. Has stayed thawed even when it was -22 F. Not having to worry about water in the winter is priceless.

Adding your general location to your profile, helps us answer questions that are weather related a whole lot easier. Certain ways to keep water liquid may not work in your location.

Depending on your location and the waterer you have, a cookie tin heater may work for you. I have no experience using them, but a few people on here use them. You can do a search on BYC or Google to check them out.

I use a set up like @wamtazlady. I use a 5 gallon bucket, with a 250 watt stock tank deicer. I have 24 birds in my flock, I top the bucket off twice a week using gallon milk jugs during winter. I have a 14 gallon drum I hope to get done before this winter, to use instead of the bucket.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

For safety reasons, I strongly recommend that you buy a commercial product and not build one on your own. Our company doesn't manufacture a heater at this time, but we've done enough research on the subject to know that cords, plugs, plastics etc are more complicated than one might imagine. Not everything was intended for outdoor use and UV sunlight, changes in temperature etc. all have a detrimental effect on components. It's not worth the risk of getting a shock or starting a fire to save $20.

Thank you for your responses I live in Ontario Canada and our temperature can go as low as -30 Celsius I have purchased a flat wall mounted heater for the coop I will put on when it gets below -5. I have seen on you tube the bucket with the de icer in it. Frankly I'm a little nervous about it. I'm having a hard time finding a factory made one that is small. I only have 5 birds. That's why I wanted to make one

Thank you for your responses I live in Ontario Canada and our temperature can go as low as -30 Celsius I have purchased a flat wall mounted heater for the coop I will put on when it gets below -5. I have seen on you tube the bucket with the de icer in it. Frankly I'm a little nervous about it. I'm having a hard time finding a factory made one that is small. I only have 5 birds. That's why I wanted to make one
I got a heated dog dish and it is just the right size for my 8 hens. It was fairly cheap and the water didn't freeze all winter (I live in Wisconsin so it gets snowy and cold). To keep chickens from falling into the water I popped a tomato cage over it that worked perfectly!

I got a heated dog dish and it is just the right size for my 8 hens. It was fairly cheap and the water didn't freeze all winter (I live in Wisconsin so it gets snowy and cold). To keep chickens from falling into the water I popped a tomato cage over it that worked perfectly!
I wondered about the heated dog dish but thought when the hen's were scratching around the hay would get in the dish . I like the idea about the tomato cage maybe that would help with the flying hay too.

I wondered about the heated dog dish but thought when the hen's were scratching around the hay would get in dish. I like the idea about the tomato cage maybe that would help with the flying hay too

I've used the heated dog dishes, and I'd be concerned about any bird stepping into it, and then freezing their legs, or if there's a rooster with big wattles, freezing them.
I now use the heated metal bases for galvanized waterers, and they work fine.
There's no way that I'm making a home built heater for the coop! Water and electricity don't mix, and I just won't do it.
Also my coop has GFIs to help protect everything.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom