Heater in outdoor coop

FionaCorreia

Hatching
May 30, 2017
Hi, v new chicken keeper based in the uk. I have two four week old chicks and am thinking about putting them outside soon. They love coming outside in the garden in the day for an hour or two. They dont seem to sit under the brooder that often anymore which is based in the house but am worried they will be too cold outside. Any advice? Should i put a heater outside or wait a bit longer?

Also i've noticed one of them sneezes when outside. Appear to be eating and drinking well and appear well in themselves.

Thank you

What are the temps like there? Hopefully you are working on weaning them off of the heat inside. By now it should be down to 24 in the brooder, slightly cooler even.

Being that there is only two and don't have a lot of hatch mates to share body heat with, I would consider making a "huddle box" for them to sleep in if you decide to move them outside.

Its about 17-19 oC. Is a huddle box a bit like a coop within the coop? I might investigate in a insulated box to go inside their next box and let then in the coop in the day and bring them in the house at night for a few more weeks. Thank you for your advice

Yes its a small insulated box and I think usually lined inside with something like foil to reflect their heat back onto them.

Your plan sounds good. I think the daytime temps they will be fine with and it will help them to feather out quicker.

Back
Top Bottom