heater questions

sals_chicks

Songster
Jan 31, 2022
New England
Hi All - first time chick mama here. My 7 babies are about 6 days old currently, and they are becoming VERY active. I am using a brooder plate style heater, and have it set up on the lowest setting (close to the floor of the brooder) - It is nice and toasty for them. Brooder box in indoors in a heated room, that is about 70 degrees.

My question is... today is the first day I've seem them all sitting/sleeping on top of the brooder plate for most of the day, rather than under it? Is it time to raise it up a bit? The top is still a bit warm, though no where near as warm as underneath. No one is peeping or in distress, and they are snuggled, but not tightly together, so I don't think they are cold.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All - first time chick mama here. My 7 babies are about 6 days old currently, and they are becoming VERY active. I am using a brooder plate style heater, and have it set up on the lowest setting (close to the floor of the brooder) - It is nice and toasty for them. Brooder box in indoors in a heated room, that is about 70 degrees.

My question is... today is the first day I've seem them all sitting/sleeping on top of the brooder plate for most of the day, rather than under it? Is it time to raise it up a bit? The top is still a bit warm, though no where near as warm as underneath. No one is peeping or in distress, and they are snuggled, but not tightly together, so I don't think they are cold.

Thanks in advance!
If possible, I would only raise half of it (so it's angled). That way, if it was too low, then can get under and if it wasn't, it isn't too high

Thank you all for your suggestions! I raised one side a couple clicks - they are still sitting on top (though now sliding a little more, lol) But they did go under it last night, so maybe they are just enjoying sitting up high?

You might give them a few other things to sit on too. They do seem to like to find some kind of training perch.

Back
Top Bottom