Heating a coop in the winter?

Im just looking for a substitute for covering the insultaion other than ply. For a 4X8 sheet of untreated 3 quarter inch its 40 something dollars at my local store. To panel the whole coop that would be like 300 bucks. Im not into that!
lol.png

Just a thought instead of paneling.....my neighbor used linoleum (spelling?). Got scrap pieces (5x10) for $15.00 each and nailed them to the walls. She said that is also helps with cleaning.

IDK!

I think i may go with plywood for the extra R value to add to the insulation and then put linoleum over it for ease of cleaning. Although my bank will take a heavy shot...........

Plywood won't add any meaningful extra insulation value. You really do not need anything like 3/4" plywood for just the inside walls of a coop! 1/4" one-side-good is plenty fine, and pretty cheap. Or see what you can scrounge, which is even cheaper.

Pat

a local farmer said i can take down and keep the wood from his daughters "partying shack" out in the woods. About 10 sheets of mint 4 by 8 3/4 ply and a ton of 2 x studs.....in other words my coop just grew like crazy!

I'm in Alaska and my coop has power but my girlfriends doesn't.

She has 4 hens, the coop is something she built herself out of scraps, it's probably 2.5 by 4 feet, on stilts so she can get in it without crawling. She made a "flap" in the back to collect eggs without opening the whole door.

We have -20 to -35 F for a couple months in winter, and her birds make it. The coop does have insulation but no light, no heat. It's just a wood box with a window.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom