Heating caution

Buck Creek Chickens

Have Incubator, Will Hatch
12 Years
Nov 26, 2008
Neenah, WI
Aways use caution when using Heat lamps & extension cords in your coops this happened in Winnabago county WI and this lady was lucky, Please be VERY VERY CARFUL

Deputy smelled smoke, helped save a woman
By Jennifer K. Woldt • of The Northwestern • January 4, 2009

Buzz up! A deputy who followed up after smelling smoke on a windy night is credited with saving a woman from a potentially deadly situation.

Winnebago County Sheriff's Deputy Matt Weisse was patrolling in a rural area in the western part of the county near Breezewood Lane when he smelled smoke at 4:23 a.m. Dec. 13. It is not unusual for residents to burn items in that area of the county, but Weisse said because the winds were gusting up to 40 miles per hour, he thought it would be best for him to go check it out.

That turned out to be a good decision.

While looking for the source of the smoke, Weisse found two chicken coops at 4705 County Trunk G that were engulfed in flames. Trees near the structures had also caught on fire and the strong winds were blowing embers at the residence.

Weisse tried to find out if anyone was in the residence. While standing on a small wooden deck at the back of the house, Weisse realized he should try a different approach.

"I looked down and I saw flames coming up at my feet," Weisse said. "I thought that wasn't the best area to be making contact with people."

Weisse went around to a different door and eventually made contact with Karen McFarland, who lived in the residence. Smoke detectors were going off inside and Weisse got McFarland, who was disorientated, and her two Labradors out of the residence and warmed up while firefighters fought the blaze.

McFarland was taken to a local hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

An investigation determined the cause of fire was electrical in nature and involved extension cords powering heat lamps and electric waterers in the coops, said town of Vinland Fire Chief Jay Schmoker.

The two chicken coops were damaged, Schmoker said, and the residence also suffered some fire damage to two exterior doors and the attached porch, as well as water and smoke damage.

If no one had reported it or he hadn't stumbled up on it, the fire would have been deadly, Weisse said.

Winnebago County Sheriff Michael Brooks agreed.

"It really is a case of thanks to him, this woman will enjoy Christmas," Brooks said.

Jennifer K. Woldt: (920) 426-6676 or [email protected].

Yep, some folks out here just lost there house and everything they owned cuz of a space heater was to close to some insulation in there pump house, caught fire and burned there place and a LOT of land around, so watch out for that junk to.

Ruh roh.........I have extension cords going to my coop too...........I wonder what it was about the extension cords that started the fire??? I'm glad everything turned out ok!

this is one thing that I have cautioned in my posts from time to time. lots of people use cardboard boxes for brooders with light bulbs for heat.. be careful..

Quote:
If you overload the extension cords, they will pull too much electricity which over heats the wire. This will melt off the cord covering exposing the wire which then will start a fire.

Make sure you choose an extension cord that is rated to carry the load that you have in your coop. If you are unsure how to figure this out, your local hardware store can help you.

Don't always assume the people caught up in an unfortunate situation like this are using brand new extension cords and space heaters. I've seen some curious wiring in my time at one time my house. The wires leading from my electrical panel darn near exploded from too much load. Luckily I already had the panel and 1000 ft of romex ready to rewire the house the following spring.

I would be willing to put money on that most of these situations involve improper wiring or installing of heating sources. If done right there should be no issues.

jeremy

If you are using extension cords and don't have a GFI outlet to plug them into there are heavy duty cords that offer similar protection. Always be very carefull how much load you are putting on a cord. The shorter and heavier the cord the better.
smile.png

Quote:
GFI receptacles don't protect against overloads or shorts, they only trip when current flows to ground, such as through a person getting shocked. You are right though, the shorter and heavier the cord the better.

Quote:
I don't have any problem with chickens pecking at cords..

If you use heavy cords with heavy insulation a chicken could not do any harm anyway..

Back
Top Bottom