Heating duck coop

I wouldn't heat the duck house at all! Ducks are very well equipped for cold weather, with the exception of Muscovies. Their caruncles are susceptible for frost-bite when there is some wind chill. Important is to have a good ventilation in the house, but no direct draft at the ducks. Ducks release a lot of moisture into the air, which will condense on cold surfaces and drip down. My duck house, for example, has a metal roof and when snow is lying on the roof, drops of cold condensation drip down. Its awful, if i find the time, i will rip the whole roof off and insulate it before winter. The basics are:
  • Keep the ducks out of the wind
  • Keep the bedding and the house as dry as possible
  • Make sure that water-vapor can leave the house without condensing anywhere
Agree, almost any kind of heating device is posing a fire hazard, especially with ducks, because they are so curious and will nibble at e v e r y t h i n g in reach of their bills!

I'm in Wisconsin too. I wouldn't heat. Your coop is small, and the extra heat will interfere with birds growing in a thicker coat as temperatures drop. The risks of fires is not worth it either.

After it freezes you can use straw or hay around the house for a bit of extra insulation if needed. You will also need to put some down on the ground.

I personally might make a bigger covered area where they can hang out all day. My ducks don't leave my shed unless it's sunny and nice out, and there's hay to sit in.
Im in vt. We have been in The negative teens. I built a coop inside of our shed, with a door that leads outside. Ive worried about heating it also. I only have one secure vent in it and when its real cold frost builds on inside of walls. More vents obviously needed, but if it was heated some or insulated on the outside would that help?

Im in vt. We have been in The negative teens. I built a coop inside of our shed, with a door that leads outside. Ive worried about heating it also. I only have one secure vent in it and when its real cold frost builds on inside of walls. More vents obviously needed, but if it was heated some or insulated on the outside would that help?
Insulating the walls will help to retain some heat that the birds themselves generate. Birds in general keep themselves warm by fluffing up their feathers, tucking their heads down, and sitting on their feet. Thick bedding helps. Straw is supposed to hold heat somewhat. Birds will sit in groups and share heat. Ducks are very cold tolerant.

I still wouldn't add extra heat. If frost is building up it may mean your ventilation isn't adequate. Good air exchange will keep the humidity lower, and birds warmer as humid air tends to feel colder than dry air.

Insulating the walls will help to retain some heat that the birds themselves generate. Birds in general keep themselves warm by fluffing up their feathers, tucking their heads down, and sitting on their feet. Thick bedding helps. Straw is supposed to hold heat somewhat. Birds will sit in groups and share heat. Ducks are very cold tolerant.

I still wouldn't add extra heat. If frost is building up it may mean your ventilation isn't adequate. Good air exchange will keep the humidity lower, and birds warmer as humid air tends to feel colder than dry air.
Thanks! Was thinking maybe foam board on the outside of the walls. Definitely damp inside. Im always cleaning and laying down dry hay as they are inside alot with so much cold. If warm enough to give them water to bathe in, then they go in pen n add more moisture. Cant wait till spring!!!!!

Thanks! Was thinking maybe foam board on the outside of the walls. Definitely damp inside. Im always cleaning and laying down dry hay as they are inside alot with so much cold. If warm enough to give them water to bathe in, then they go in pen n add more moisture. Cant wait till spring!!!!!
Just make sure to cover the foam board as they will happily eat it. My muscovy are kept in my big airy shed, which has open doors facing south and east. They get water all winter. Some attempt to bathe others don't.

If fed, wild ducks will remain on open water through winter and have no problems from what I've seen. I've never seen any frostbite in my ducks, nor any real problems from the cold. We can get pretty cold here. Into the negative 20's or even lower at times.

When really cold some may get frost on their feathers which shows they are maintaining their body heat.

Probably good air exchange is more important, and good thick bedding, as well as wind breaks, than trying to maintain heat within their housing.

Just make sure to cover the foam board as they will happily eat it. My muscovy are kept in my big airy shed, which has open doors facing south and east. They get water all winter. Some attempt to bathe others don't.

If fed, wild ducks will remain on open water through winter and have no problems from what I've seen. I've never seen any frostbite in my ducks, nor any real problems from the cold. We can get pretty cold here. Into the negative 20's or even lower at times.

When really cold some may get frost on their feathers which shows they are maintaining their body heat.

Probably good air exchange is more important, and good thick bedding, as well as wind breaks, than trying to maintain heat within their housing.
O yes, the foam would be on the outside of the coupe in the shed. They have no access to it. But i know they will eat it. Tried using a piece for a ramp lol. All still alive thankfully!! Thanks for the added info and suggestions! Much appreciated!!

I do plan to lay hay down as the snow falls and also to put a tarp around the fence for some wind protection. Do you mean use straw bails around the outside of the house to help insulate? And how do you deal with water in the winter?
Dog kennelsI actually bought 2 covered dog kennels and butted them up against one another to make it longer for my 4 ducks, and got the tallest ones so I can get in there to freshen as needed. I bought the kennel for 197.00 I lined the lower portion with chicken wire, mulch with cypress, add pine and straw as needed during cold months, remove down to mulch in summer. Winter use heated dog bowls, and can zip tie tarps around parimeter with cold blustery days...it's 9 here today, so I began placing sections of straw around base, need to buy more today. I also bought a dog igloo for additional shelter.

Last edited:
Dog kennelsI actually bought 2 covered dog kennels and butted them up against one another to make it longer for my 4 ducks, and got the tallest ones so I can get in there to freshen as needed. I bought the kennel for 197.00 I lined the lower portion with chicken wire, mulch with cypress, add pine and straw as needed during cold months, remove down to mulch in summer. Winter use heated dog bowls, and can zip tie tarps around parimeter with cold blustery days...it's 9 here today, so I began placing sections of straw around base, need to buy more today. I also bought a dog igloo for additional shelter.
A picture of your setup would be nice it would help members working on getting their coops ready for frigid temps.

Back
Top Bottom