Heating Lamp in winter?

21_chickens

Songster
Sep 1, 2019
I currently have 21 chickens, all recently started layers. Their coop has three windows that stay closed when it’s cold. They have a run connecting to their coop too. I use pine shavings for bedding, but as winter approaches I feel they may need more heat than just the shavings. I live in Ma, so it gets cold in the winter. Should I attach a heating lamp somewhere inside their coop? What do you guys usually do to keep your chickens warm throughout the winter?

My brother lives in Northern Michigan. His wife did put a heat lamp in their coop when they were having single digit temperatures.
IMG_2474.jpg
535728445.jpg

Do you have any tips on how to keep the heating lamp from falling?

We used chain to attach to the heat lamp on each side. The chain is attached to the rafters.

we also use a programmable thermostat that tells the heat lamp to turn in when the temp reaches a certain threshold. For us, it is set to turn on at or below 15F. It comes with a thermometer in a wire. We put the thermometer at the height of the middle roost (we have ladder style roosts). Then it turns on when the temp at roost level is whatever we determined.

DSCN1038.JPG

I make sure the lamp is secured in at least 3 ways with wires and bungees. I only turn it on when the outside temp is in the teens or below. Most of the time the chickens, guineas and peafowl produce enough heat from their bodies to keep the inside temp above freezing.
I've read that a full size chicken will produce the same amount of heat as a 40 watt light bulb. ;)
p.s. I rarely use more than a 100 watt heat bulb in the lamp unless it is way below zero. Then I might use a 150 watt heat bulb.

Back
Top Bottom