Heating pad brooder

Erinnlyn

Songster
Aug 21, 2022
Mid-Missouri
For those of you who make your own mamma heating pad, I assume the same rules apply for chick heat needs by age. Do you just set your thermometer under there and make sure it's around 95F? Depending on your type of heat pad, temps could range from not warm enough, to too hot maybe? I have a K & H small animal heated pad and I have a ribbon of fluffy feathers to put around it. I'm going to build a little frame for it out of pvc to raise it up. Hopefully it doesn't get too hot. I have a different type of pet bed heat pad I could use to make a cave as well. Who knows what temperature difference those 2 pads would have. I guess I should set those up and check temp under them. Does anybody do this, do you check temp under there, or just go by feel? If the chicks have each other to huddle and added row of feathers could this method get too warm? Seems like it would be harder to adjust the temperature on this. (Indoor brooder -for at least a few days so I can watch them) Thoughts, experiences?
Thanks!

IMG_E4684 (2).JPG

I made this cave years ago following Blooie's advice. I use press n seal now but I started with a towel with velcro strips over my Sunbeam no shut off pad, over a wire frame. I just change out old t-shirts or paper towels on and under the cave. I still use the same Sunbeam after buying several others and finding it hard to find no shut off, it's still the best. I don't EVER use the old school suggestions to start in the 90's. My day old chicks never see temps past mid 80. I have a thermometer in my brooder to keep ambient temp around 70 and I put a meat thermometer under my cave from time to time to make sure it's staying in the 80's. I've never had a case of pasty butt and I've always had happy healthy chicks zipping around the brooder then sleeping peacefully under the Cave. It's for sure my best method for chicks whether indoor or out (I do outdoor.) Good luck, have fun!!

Awesome, thank you. Yeah, I was thinking the 95 degrees would be way hot underneath something like that because it's a lot cozier than the heat lamp! Thanks for confirming! I didn't even think about a shutoff. I will look for a Sunbeam!
Thanks! Chicks are due Sep. 16!!
I made this cave years ago following Blooie's advice. I use press n seal now but I started with a towel with velcro strips over my Sunbeam no shut off pad, over a wire frame. I just change out old t-shirts or paper towels on and under the cave. I still use the same Sunbeam after buying several others and finding it hard to find no shut off, it's still the best. I don't EVER use the old school suggestions to start in the 90's. My day old chicks never see temps past mid 80. I have a thermometer in my brooder to keep ambient temp around 70 and I put a meat thermometer under my cave from time to time to make sure it's staying in the 80's. I've never had a case of pasty butt and I've always had happy healthy chicks zipping around the brooder then sleeping peacefully under the Cave. It's for sure my best method for chicks whether indoor or out (I do outdoor.) Good luck, have fun!!

Oh fun! It'll be so nice for you in September to not have to worry about super cold temps. I really need to start summer or fall chicks! I've just never believed that greater than *85 was a good idea. There are many people who firmly believe in this old school guide but I'm not one of them. I've raised around 100 chicks in 70's ambient/80's under Heating Pad. I've seen the chicks in the feed store under red hot lights and they are lethargic and not thriving. Some people swear by hot and less hot "zones," but the only reason I can think of that they do this is just the fear that chicks really do need 90's :idunno The batch of chicks in my post, I discovered sleeping outside of the cave one morning and indeed the temp. under the cave was *92 and they did not want that. I just don't need to put it to the test anymore, lower = better health for chicks and easier transition to the real world. Hope you post pics of your little's!!! Nothing cuter than chicks! Well except puppies, lol.

Do you just set your thermometer under there and make sure it's around 95F?
No.
The heating pad work by the chicks being able to touch their backs to it,
that's why being able to adjust the height as they grow is so important.

Does anybody do this, do you check temp under there, or just go by feel?
The surface of the pad should be about 100-120°F.
I use a infrared temp sensor to check.
Here's mine:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/

The heating pad I use is a SunBeam 732-500 (12x24) there's also the 731-500 (12x15)
I researched it, if I understand correctly its 50watt, no shut off and 3 settings; L /90. M/95. H/100. I use a wire frame increasing the height as they need. Wrapped in a casing a made & small bungee cords to hold it. Once they start getting on top, I put potty pads ... More work but I can keep an eye on the poops.

Attachments

• MHP Skeleton (1).jpg
    MHP Skeleton (1).jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 0528:6.jpg
    0528:6.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 25
No.
The heating pad work by the chicks being able to touch their backs to it,
that's why being able to adjust the height as they grow is so important.

The surface of the pad should be about 100-120°F.
I use a infrared temp sensor to check.
Here's mine:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/
Yeah I plan on being able to raise it up little by little. Good to know about the surface temp. That is one thing I was wondering about. Now that I think of it, my husband has one of those infrared temp sensors so I can test it out before the chicks hatch. Thank you for the info!!

The heating pad I use is a SunBeam 732-500 (12x24) there's also the 731-500 (12x15)
I researched it, if I understand correctly its 50watt, no shut off and 3 settings; L /90. M/95. H/100. I use a wire frame increasing the height as they need. Wrapped in a casing a made & small bungee cords to hold it. Once they start getting on top, I put potty pads ... More work but I can keep an eye on the poops.
Thank you so much for the info and pictures! Adorable babies! Mine should make their appearance in about a week! I'm going to try to find one of these heating pads! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom