Heating Pads in nesting boxes?

Ok, I'm planning to build my own coop, but I'm wondering if I should put heating pads in the nesting boxes so the chickens stay warm in the winter. Is that a good idea or not?
We have installed solar panels on the roof, they work fantastic! Sun seems to break through clouds in the winters it's normally gloomy, our coop is warm.

Oh, it's no problem! Also good to know because I really like that coop plan! What do you think the max amount of standard chickens that coop would fit comfortably?
Five standards. Something like 6x7 w/ external nesting boxes will hold 8, and something like 7x7 will hold 10.

The run is 10' x 4' and im planning to let them free range for a bit. does that make a difference?
10x4 is a bit small for 5 birds, but would work. Free ranging doesn't really count unless it's almost all day, almost every day. If you had a run that was big for more than 5 birds (for example, a 10x7 run for 6 birds) then you could probably add an extra.

10x4 is a bit small for 5 birds, but would work. Free ranging doesn't really count unless it's almost all day, almost every day. If you had a run that was big for more than 5 birds (for example, a 10x7 run for 6 birds) then you could probably add an extra.
1606173238483.png

Is that accurate? or would that be a bit too small

Its also so the eggs don't freeze

What part of WA are you in? The mountains? Overall it doesn't really get cold enough in this state for egg freezing to be an issue, but probably depends on the microclimate of your home.

That 4x5 coop could hold about 5 standard hens. Not a bad build at a glance, but she's unrealistic that 15 birds would be peacefully happy inside there. I'd reduce it to 1 long roost (or 2 shorter ones). Or use materials more wisely and bump it to 4x6 or even 4x8, because lumber comes usually in 4' increments, so that'll use almost the same amount of materials, with fewer cuts, and provide extra space that you can expand with. If you go that route the run should be scaled up to compensate as well, as it's easier to go bigger now, than to expand later if behavioral issues arise.

Back
Top Bottom