Heating pads & seeds

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Okay so I bought some herb kits on sale at TSC a few weeks ago and planted them oh maybe a week or two ago and they still haven't sprouted yet :(

It is very sunny in there but it has been cold lately. When I first put them out there it was warm because the heat was broken and stuck on lol but it has since fixed itself so now it's cold again. So I am thinking that's why they haven't sprouted yet?

I have seen that some people use heating pads or similar under them??

I just bought one but I am wondering if that's really the case?

If not, I can just return it or use it for chicks or ducklings. No big deal.

But if I do use it, do I just like put it under the pots, plug in, and turn on? Or is there more to it? Do I put it on the lowest setting orrrr? Do I put the pots directly on it or in something?

It is parsley, basil, and I think chives in each kit.

Maybe the seeds are duds?

You can use the HP on low setting. It should be comfortably warm for you to lay your hand on it, and leave your hand there. (think what sun warmed soil feels like.) The heat will travel up through the soil to the seed level. Parsley can take up to 3 weeks to sprout, Chives may take 2. Basil will be your first seeds up. One of the benefits of MHP.

You can use the HP on low setting.  It should be comfortably warm for you to lay your hand on it, and leave your hand there.  (think what sun warmed soil feels like.)  The heat will travel up through the soil to the seed level.  Parsley can take up to 3 weeks to sprout, Chives may take 2.  Basil will be your first seeds up.  One of the benefits of MHP.

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't realized they could take so long! I guess I just thought every seed took a week.. shows how little I truly know! LOL

I'll set the pad up, thanks. So can I just put them on top of it or does there need to be something to catch the water?

Hope those seeds pops up soon for you with a little heat.

A resource I find helpful is the online catalog for Johnny's Select seeds. They are a commercial seed supplier so the info is rather factual and contains detail growing information like best germination temps for every type of seed.

For example, last year I thougt starting my many difffernt variety of squash in plastic zip locks with a wet paper towel would be fast to sprout if I put into my empty incubator. HAHHHAHHH...... apparently 99 is TOOO hot for most squash seeds. A few sprouted but I now know using an ideal temp would net more starts

Good luck!!

Hope those seeds pops up soon for you with a little heat.

A resource I find helpful is the online catalog for Johnny's Select seeds. They are a commercial seed supplier so the info is rather factual and contains detail growing information like best germination temps for every type of seed.

For example, last year I thougt starting my many difffernt variety of squash in plastic zip locks with a wet paper towel would be fast to sprout if I put into my empty incubator.  HAHHHAHHH...... apparently 99 is TOOO hot for most squash seeds. A few sprouted but I now know using an ideal temp would net more starts 

Good luck!!  

Thank you! I hope so too!

And wow thanks for the info, I'll check out their site :)

Just picked all this up at Walmart. Went a little crazy on the seeds especially since I have tins left from last year LOL but oh well, I don't really have any herbs, I mostly have vegetables from last year

And these are the herbs right now. They're a bit dry so gotta water them and gonna put the pad under them

Last edited:
Okay so I planted the sweet peopers, both kinds of hot peppers, and the tomatoes in the tray and put the heating pad under the herbs.

I am going to need another tray for the other seeds! LOL

But we will see how this goes!

I might need to turn the pad up to medium though, it's barely warm and next to a cold window (no wonder they weren't sprouting lol) but we'll see.

And actually, we do have one teeny little shoot of green in one of the chive pots! And I think I see another teeny, just breaking, shoot of green in another pot, I forget which one lol

So yay!

Hopefully this helps produce even more shoots!

Back
Top Bottom