Heating the Chicks

chickgirl11

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Citra, Florida
I have heard that you are supposed to put a heat lamp on the chicks and decrease the temperature by 5 degrees every week. I never really did that but the temperature on them has been consitently warm and they are perfectly fine. I have them on my patio outside in a tote altered to create a good home for them. They were right next to an outlet so the heat lamp could be used easily. They are outgrowing it and they are now 26 days old. I forgot to mention that I have two chicks. I am moving them outside into a coop-like setup but there is no outlet. It is only 60 degrees in the morning. Do they need heat and how should I heat them?

60 degrees is a little cold for 4 week old chicks.

You could put them in a cardboard box with lots of warm bedding (pine bedding works well) each night until they get all their feathers.

At about 6 weeks and with full feathering they should be OK at night outside.

Better if they are in bigger numbers as they huddle together for warmth.

Sandie

I might keep them in their old setup at night then. Their new "coop" will be lined with straw. Is that a bedding that could keep them warm? I am in Florida and it doesn't normaly get this cold for another few weeks. If it didn't get cold until they were 5 wks then this wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, use pine shavings instead of straw (NOT cedar).

Could you run an extension cord for a week or two out to the coop for cool nights?

I can run an extension cord. I am currently using pine bedding but since they will be in an old rabbit hutch that is raised above the ground, the bedding will fall through the wire floor.

Back
Top Bottom