1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heating the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by goldstar, Nov 4, 2013.

1. goldstar

goldstar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Is it ok to hang a 250 watt heat lamp and use it if it gets in the 20 degree range at night ?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Most people don't recommend heating the coop due to the danger of a fire, chickens can withstand cold much better than heat.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

I agree
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's "OK" to do most anything you want with your chickens
    It's not necessary to heat a properly built coop

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Duplicate

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  7. Think I have seen your carbon copy post a time or 2 now. You guys on the east coast don't get the kinda cold we get, but must be a whole lot damper.
    I have bantams, and some OEG bantams, they need to be kept a little warmer than larger birds or more cold hardy types. 20 f , but with -30f and a -40 windchill, it sure helps a lot. We don't have major power outages here, we are lucky.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to BYC.....

Like it was mentioned you can put a heat lamp in but it is not really needed. It is nice to see that you are concerned about your birds and keeping their best interest at heart. If you do put a heat lamp in you really have to consider that one of the chickens might knock it down of which it could start a fire. I also live in Canada and it can get very cold. The chickens really are okay with cold weather. I don't use heat lamps and it gets well below freezing. I just have to make sure I collect eggs 2-3 times a day. I also check their water as it often freezes since I don't have heated water bowls/dishes. I also give my girls scratch that is made up of mixed grain and cracked corn. I feel it keeps them busy scratching in the straw and stirring up their blood keeping busy.

What I do to make sure everyone is comfortable is

deep bed the floor with what ever materials works best for you. I use straw but that is what I have available. I also feel it is a warmer material for them to be walking on.
    make the coop draft free but not to the point that moisture collects
    make sure there is good ventilation....at ceiling height.
    other than that....your girls will do very well for the winter.

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Guaranteed! The heat question on chickens this time of year is one that seems to never go away my post is accurate for my set up and my sex link chickens and Delaware rooster... .

10. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Sometimes it's not a question of what can the chickens withstand but, what do the chickens prefer? Are they more comfortable with a little heat? There are obvious dangers of fire that have to be minimized. But, if a flock of chickens had the choice of a coop at 40 degree versus a coop at -20, which would they choose? I think they would like the warmer coop! If you have chickens as backyard pets this really does matter! Dogs can survive outside without heat if acclimated also. But I wouldn't have a dog if it had to stay outside. (Now staying in the barn as LGD is an entirely different thing).

I live in Texas so it's more important to keep them cool in the summer. But when we have cold snaps, right or wrong, I want to provide a little heat for them because I want them to be comfortable. Last year, I put a drop light on the outside of the coop at an open slat vent on the side of the coop. It added ventilation and heat. The chickens couldn't knock it over. I have "roof wings" to keep rain from getting in through the top vents so, I also throw a quilt over the top of the coop for more insulation and less potential draft ( the roof wings keep the high vents from being covered up).

Having said all that. Les Farms barn fire gives me pause. So, I don't know if I'll do that this year. Dead chickens is not what I'm after.
    [​IMG]
    This is the coop, before the run was built.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by