Heating

Narvik

Hatching
Jun 3, 2017
Hei, I am new to this forum and still unsure where and how to post. I live in southern Norway and the lowest temperatures will be around 5 degree Fahrenheit.
So I assume I will need some heating?
The easiest way would be to get some heating mats from the DIY store. Underfloor heating is popular and the kits are cheap with plug and play thermostat and overheating protection. But, is this a good idea?
I have tried to remember biology classes and think that some birds, at least waterfowl and seabirds have advanced temperature regulation in their feet.
Second problem would be the temperature at the bottom, with droppings and waste.
My house came with an abandoned coop for smaller birds, not practical for myself, do not want to crawl on my knees while cleaning. The plan is now to build some L shaped structure with enough height in the new section.
Some storage space and work area on one side. I want to extend the roof on one side to have a smaller run with roof before the birds then can go out to the main run or even roam free.
All this started with an escaped rooster from the neighborhood, he simply picked us as a foster home. I will eat eggs and meat, but because of my children this guy is now family.
Thanks for the warm welcome
Peter

Hei, I am new to this forum and still unsure where and how to post. I live in southern Norway and the lowest temperatures will be around 5 degree Fahrenheit.
So I assume I will need some heating?
The easiest way would be to get some heating mats from the DIY store. Underfloor heating is popular and the kits are cheap with plug and play thermostat and overheating protection. But, is this a good idea?
I have tried to remember biology classes and think that some birds, at least waterfowl and seabirds have advanced temperature regulation in their feet.
Second problem would be the temperature at the bottom, with droppings and waste.
My house came with an abandoned coop for smaller birds, not practical for myself, do not want to crawl on my knees while cleaning. The plan is now to build some L shaped structure with enough height in the new section.
Some storage space and work area on one side. I want to extend the roof on one side to have a smaller run with roof before the birds then can go out to the main run or even roam free.
All this started with an escaped rooster from the neighborhood, he simply picked us as a foster home. I will eat eggs and meat, but because of my children this guy is now family.
Thanks for the warm welcome
Peter
Welcome! If five degrees is the low, with the right breed of chicken, you will not need heat!

All weather breeds are good down to zero degrees, and I'd imagine that some cold weather breeds can go even lower.

What they want is company and a dry coop. Feathers and body heat do the rest.

Some will disagree, but I am a believer in a coop in cold weather not being overly large to help the birds capitalize on body heat, but the droppings and their breath will create moisture, so you want it to be reasonable well ventilated. Also, you want plenty of bedding for the floor and nesting boxes.

If they become overly acclimated to an additional heat source, that can lead to problems if you have power outage in the dead of winter.

If you do have some electricity in the coop, I do recommend a heated watering font to keep their water from freezing. Available in the states is a small thermostat called a 'thermocube' ... when temps drop below 35 degrees, it will turn on, and once up to 45 degrees, it will turn off.

Hope this helps, get OTHER OPINIONS besides just mine!

I assume I will need some heating?
The best cold weather chickens are the Chantecler breed.
Here is a link:
http://www.cherrycreekcanadians.ca/chickens.html
I live in Canada and am subject to -40º temperatures. My chickens who are the Golden Comet breed do fine during these temperatures with no added heat. I do provide them with an extra feeder filled with whole corn during the winter months. Attention still has to be given to the flock to make sure everyone is adjusting to the new diet and that those at the lower end of the pecking order are healthy in particular. Otherwise my flock does just great. Egg supply does drop off during the winter months as I do not provide extra lighting either.

Back
Top Bottom