heating?

Do grown-up chickens see the red light given off by the red heat-lamps used to rear chicks? I wonder if I used that red lamp for heat if I would be interrupting their sleep cycle because of the light.
hmm.png

Electrical heating should be a LAST resort, in my opinion, and in many situations you will never need it at all.

See my .sig below for "cold coop" page discussing what temperature your chickens 'should' be kept at, and how to achieve that, including a lot of things you can do that do not involve electricity or fire hazard.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

nawky360- We use sheathed insulation, our coop is in an unheated barn, w have a layer lamp from 5 am- 8 am for egg production but nothing for heat. Even though we have an electric dog bowl on a raised platform, it gets only to 50F at the base. Without knowing if you are in the Yukon or Alaska it's difficult to anser your question. Most of us in cold zones have cold-hardy breeds. I have a winter thread linked below this...your birds need to adjust to daily and seasonal temperature/light fluctuations to grow a decent feathercoat and to function normally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom