Heatstroke emergency

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chknmomma13, May 19, 2016.

1. chknmomma13

chknmomma13 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Beyond heat stroke emergency!

I feel absolutely horrible!! 5 of my 10 week olds got trapped under the little plastic wading pool all day in the direct sunlight. 4 died & 1 was barely holding on. I immediately started dribbling water into her beak & putting water onto her feet & under her wings. She was holding her head up but wobbly. Tried to walk but tumbled. So I put her into a shallow tub filled with cool water for awhile & have continued using a syringe to get small amounts of water in her. It's been over an hour now & I have her in a comfortable, cool spot in the garage & she's resting & occasionally moving about the bin & then resting again. I have water, food, fresh worms, all available for her. Any other suggestions?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Do you have any electrolytes? Otherwise a bit of honey water might help

1 person likes this.
  3. chknmomma13

chknmomma13 New Egg

May 19, 2016

4. chknmomma13

chknmomma13 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Thank you. I will get electrolytes when I going to town in the morning. Honey water???

5. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Yes put some honey in hot water and mix it up. Let it cool a bit and feed it to her. It might help perk her up a bit.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    get her watermelon, its full of water and birds love it - will help cool her down. Once they have heatstroke they are much more susceptible to having it again and dying.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Kristen5894

Kristen5894 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Wildomar
    Temps in So. Cal topped 113 today and our beloved Light Brahma suffered a heat stroke. Luckily we caught it just as she collapsed and immediately started trying to cool her off. We put her in a cool tub of water and rubbed the water under her wings and started giving her water through a straw. She could not stand and was barely able to hold her head up. Within about 10 minutes she stopped panting but could not stand on her own. We continued to feed her water and then ran to the store and got electrolytes. Within about an hour she was trying to stand on her own. 3 hours later she is normal like nothing every happened. She was on death's door for sure and I can't believe we got so lucky.
    I understand that once they have heat stroke, it is more likely to happen again which scares me.

10. duhrel

duhrel Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Southern California
    It's supposed to be hotter today than yesterday. Stay cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by