heavy door slammed on roosters leg

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
my rooster was watching us cook in the kitchen when the kitchen door SLAMMED on his foot. the door was super heavy. for the first 2 days he was walking fine. we put turmeric paste on his leg because it had broken the cap off his spur and he was bleeding quite a bit all over his foot/toe. 2 days later, he cant run as he was before, he still is eating and drinking and active as well but when he runs he hops. when we were putting the turmeric on his leg, he flinched slightly but I think it was because my hand touched his wound. there is discolouration on the bottom of his leg where his foot starts.

I know I never take pictures and ill try to get a picture of his leg, but what else can I do?

Last edited:
First of all, I’m sorry to hear about this. Is it possible he sprained it? Or could it be the beginning of bumblefoot? Pictures would definitely help. What color is the discoloration? White, purple, red?
(Also, I love the fact that he was watching you cook.)

First of all, I’m sorry to hear about this. Is it possible he sprained it? Or could it be the beginning of bumblefoot? Pictures would definitely help. What color is the discoloration? White, purple, red?
(Also, I love the fact that he was watching you cook.)
im not sure whether its broken or sprained. his foot isn't jutting out weirdly, although he has loads of feathers so it may be covering bones poking out. he still kicks kind of if you hold him so his tummy is vertical (holding him like that so I could see his feet better). colour is blackish green and I cant remember but MAYBE it was purpleish? the bone under the spur has gone really dark red/black since the cap came off. he's always sitting outside the door watching whatever we're doing which makes me so sad :( he's probably scared from coming back to the door.

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 14.44.29.png

yellowness on his feathers is from the turmeric

It looks bruised, which is not surprising, so it's likely very sore. Bruising often looks greenish. That he's using the foot is good and makes a fracture less likely. I would try to limit his activity for a while, a wire crate is good so he can still be seen and see everything. Try to let it rest. Roosters sometimes break spurs off and they usually do fine. It will probably grow back, but it's slow.

It looks bruised, which is not surprising, so it's likely very sore. Bruising often looks greenish. That he's using the foot is good and makes a fracture less likely. I would try to limit his activity for a while, a wire crate is good so he can still be seen and see everything. Try to let it rest. Roosters sometimes break spurs off and they usually do fine. It will probably grow back, but it's slow.
thanks so much for your help! nothing I can do, apart from separate him?

Back
Top Bottom