Hedemora Thread

Pics
I have a very young but growing Hedemora flock, from hatching eggs purchased entirely from people on this thread. I'm up to 22 chicks from about 4 days old to 6 weeks, with 17 eggs in the incubator due to hatch on 3/27/14. That's a big commitment for my small coop. Anyway, I've been scouring the Swedish websites with the help of Google translation, and I'm wondering if anybody in the US has wheat or wild type? Just curious. Also, on one of the sites I visited there was mention of eating them. Has anybody tried processing extra cockerels? Are they meaty enough to bother?

Please help. Rut, one of my Hedemora chicks has a problem and I was wondering if anyone knows what it might be. Four days ago I noticed that she was walking a little strange. I kept an eye on her and by the next morning it was way worse. Her left leg is turned all the way out sideways. I researched like crazy and all I could find that it might be is the spraddle leg even though she has never been on anything slippery and she is almost 3 weeks old. I put her in a splint that morning. She is standing and walking better than she was but her leg is not turning back at all. She has no inury to her leg. No cuts, no scrapes and it doesn't bother her at all when I manipulate her leg. Does anyone know what this could be or what I should do to help her?
I have pictures but this will not let me post them.

Please help. Rut, one of my Hedemora chicks has a problem and I was wondering if anyone knows what it might be. Four days ago I noticed that she was walking a little strange. I kept an eye on her and by the next morning it was way worse. Her left leg is turned all the way out sideways. I researched like crazy and all I could find that it might be is the spraddle leg even though she has never been on anything slippery and she is almost 3 weeks old. I put her in a splint that morning. She is standing and walking better than she was but her leg is not turning back at all. She has no inury to her leg. No cuts, no scrapes and it doesn't bother her at all when I manipulate her leg. Does anyone know what this could be or what I should do to help her?
I have pictures but this will not let me post them.
Try reading up on "slipped tendon" and see if the description fits.

I will be getting a couple of these chicks this weekend. I have read that they don't do well in the heat. For those of you in the US, have you noticed issues? At what temperature or humidity level do you need to watch them? Also, are there any early sexing tips for this breed? Does anyone except Greenfire ship chicks if I want a couple more? I am in Indiana. Thanks!

I will be getting a couple of these chicks this weekend. I have read that they don't do well in the heat. For those of you in the US, have you noticed issues? At what temperature or humidity level do you need to watch them? Also, are there any early sexing tips for this breed? Does anyone except Greenfire ship chicks if I want a couple more? I am in Indiana. Thanks!
Mine are too young so I don't have any summer experience. I was planning on putting an evaporative cooler in the henhouse anyway. It's too hot here in the summer for any chicken breed really.
I've been told they do fairly well the first year before the downy undercoat is well developed. The next year they need to be cooled. I've read that they start to suffer in the mid 70's and can overheat in the mid 80's. This information from a Swedish website (I search under hedemorahons and use google translate). That's about 10 degrees lower than most of my other breeds. I'm hoping since my flock grew up in California and not Sweden that they will acclimatize some.
Berrytangle ships chicks I think. I bought hatching eggs from them with good results. They have a website.

Mine are too young so I don't have any summer experience. I was planning on putting an evaporative cooler in the henhouse anyway. It's too hot here in the summer for any chicken breed really.
I've been told they do fairly well the first year before the downy undercoat is well developed. The next year they need to be cooled. I've read that they start to suffer in the mid 70's and can overheat in the mid 80's. This information from a Swedish website (I search under hedemorahons and use google translate). That's about 10 degrees lower than most of my other breeds. I'm hoping since my flock grew up in California and not Sweden that they will acclimatize some.
Berrytangle ships chicks I think. I bought hatching eggs from them with good results. They have a website.

Hmmm, well crap! It stays in the mid 80's through the 90's here for most of the summer! I wonder if a big barn fan in the coop will do enough to keep them cool. I did see Berrytangle's website but it seems like a pretty long distance to ship chicks! I will keep them in mind though. Thanks for sharing what you know and I will be interested in how your birds do too.

Hmmm, well crap! It stays in the mid 80's through the 90's here for most of the summer! I wonder if a big barn fan in the coop will do enough to keep them cool. I did see Berrytangle's website but it seems like a pretty long distance to ship chicks! I will keep them in mind though. Thanks for sharing what you know and I will be interested in how your birds do too.
I should have added my 3 month old flock showed no panting, no wing spreading, nothing, when we had two or three days in the low 90's last week. Of course they're still young and it cooled down to the 50's at night.

Our little hedemora "Annie"

Back
Top Bottom