Hedemora Thread

If there is any way I would like to get a trio this summer , I will have by then enough trio pens to rear them well in, and could compare them this winter to the RIRs and PWs, I know the American breeds will be bigger but really interested to see how the pullets do in comparison through the winter, they will be side by side and handled identically. I am also hoping to have some Iowa Blues to be growing out too. I guess four breeds is plenty to be comparing.

Well, I got 6 of 'em and couldn't get a group pic
hmm.png
but got this one
big_smile.png

11313_dsc00636.jpg

Hi,
I was hoping for some help sexing these babies....they are almost 8 weeks
they didn't like being separated from their siblings so they kept running back to the pen
tongue.png

I hope I have them right, nothing to really gauge it off of since I can't find any pics of them anywhere.

#1 pullet?
11313_054.jpg

#2 pullet? wow, sun must have been reflecting just right. there is nothing wrong with the eye..
11313_056.jpg

#3 pullet?
11313_057.jpg

#4 pullet?
11313_062.jpg

#5 cockeral
11313_063.jpg

probably wishful thinking on gender but I also have one that is a week younger and has a huge red comb too even though he is much smaller than these chicks
I also think it is cool that the leg feathering end at or near ankle and doesnt extend to the toes...

Last edited:
I wanted to add a pic of my youngest hedemora, a smooth feathered cockeral
This pic doesn't show his color well but he wouldn't hang out in the sun long enough
11313_imag0490.jpg

This is him in the sun, but not a great pic
11313_imag0484.jpg

Eta- the pic does not do him justice, he looks metallic in person...

Last edited:
Quote:
Honestly, they are probably the most passive birds I have. They are pretty low key and I am not even sure if my older cockeral(fluffy one) has even crowed. I can pick up the hens and they never even try to get away
hu.gif

I am really surprised more people don't have these... I am not sure about egg laying though...mine are 4 1/2 months old( except the cockeral I just posted) .

Here is a pic that I took a few weeks ago
#4 is far right, #3 is far left and #5 is second from left. the little cockeral to the right of the big cockeral died
sad.png

11313_imag0174.jpg

Sorry , did wrong pic, this should be easier
tongue.png

11313_imag0175.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom