heirloom tomatoes

A old neighbor from Ohio gave me some yellow red stripey tomato seeds that he got from WV years back and uses them eversince.. I also want to try out a mutant tomato that i got of another neighbors maters. It was a conjoined triplet tomato weighing in at almost 2pounds.

I usually start mine from seeds. I did buy some from a guy off craigslist last year.

I prefer the blacks. Black krim are very acidic and have a slight salty flavor. The guy I bought some hearts from said he didn't like any of the blacks. You can usually find a me stripey at most nurserys. They are yellow and orange. Not as acidic as the blacks but better than a store bought mater.

I'll email you the tomato file...
About 200+ varities with note and footnotes from field trials. I took part in the data gathering.

My personal favorite? Black Krim
Favorite cherry size? Yellow pear

Anyone else wants a copy, pm me your email. File's in excell. Some random melon notes tucked on thier.

I have an old Italian kind (will have to look up the name again) that I have been saving seeds from for several years. Its more of a paste type but we love it.

I have one that I got from a Spanish lady, she may have brought the seeds from spain or developed it herself. I tried to find out but was unable to get a straight answer, but it produces light red-orange paste tomatoes with almost no seed. Mild flavor, low acid. Round and about the size of a small to medium beefsteak.

I LOVE Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter! Weird name and DELICIOUS! It is SO meaty! We also like Brandywines. Stripey's are good, but we had the Radiator tomato to win us over!

Quote:
I agree! If you can't find them, German Queen is pretty similar. The fruit is big & dark pink (not beef steak big though) ant they have pretty foliage that looks like potato leaves. They're my favorite slicer. You can usually find seed or started plants. I get my plants at the Chattanooga Market in the spring
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom