helllpppp..... baddddd.... badddddddddd..... :(((((((

Majd

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2012
I have a concern now.... I noticed that my broody have mites or lice.... I was soooo scared that I found these creepy little monsters hanging to that feather that fell off her.... I hate them to death... we didn't have parasites problems a long time ago.... I'm afraid of a bad infastation that will probably be lethal to the chicks and harm the whole flock.... and especially if the get a hold on us and it will infest our house.... it's probably from the wild birds... anyways.... our coop is not like standard backyard coops... its buil up of stone and wood with wire and a metal roofing.... and we have some roosts made of wood packed on each other with other material in the coop..I'm afraid that if I would get these out these crawling monsters would get on me.... I know I should treat the chickens from them especially before the peeps hatch.... but I don't know how to end the life cycle of the mites.... the are clearly visible to the naked eye... they are greyish with black spots or something.... so what type are they..... I really hate approaching to my chickens now... especially the coop..... lots of cracks and narrow places for them to hide in.... actually I don't know if they are the type that hide in cracks during the day and come to the host at night... what is a final solution for them... I want to pump medicine in that coop quickly with a insecticide pumper.... what do you guys think.... what med that is strong will I use... I don't care if it was chemical and will harm the environment a bit.... because that's a bad time thinking about the environment... I want to solve it as quickly as possible.... I'm having bad dreams about them and every time I feel itchy I creap out..... I can't spend the night without thinking about themm..... helpp...

Sevin dust 5% (carbaryl) and permethrin spray or dust work very well. Mite eggs will hatch in 7 days, so it is necessary to re-treat in 7 days, and every 7 days until you see no more. Dust the nest boxes and roosts also. Some people recommend using an old-fashioned "white wash" in their coops to prevent this (ala Tom Sawyer.) Years ago especially in the UK people used to use creosote in the coops, and since it became illegal to use there have been more mite infestations there. Here is a thread with a whitewash recipe: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/353274/whitewashing

Last edited:
Thanks eggcessice... I read a lot about mutiple products... but I'm afraid I'm not going to fing the same brand here in lebanon.... but I'll try my best... I'm afraid any product will harm the developing chicks in the eggs.... and I want to know what exactly arr these crawling monsters....

Thanks eggcessice... I read a lot about mutiple products... but I'm afraid I'm not going to fing the same brand here in lebanon.... but I'll try my best... I'm afraid any product will harm the developing chicks in the eggs.... and I want to know what exactly arr these crawling monsters....

Carbaryl and permethrin are the generic names, so you might be able to find them. http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/carbaryl-ext.html and http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/carbaryl-ext.html

Lebanon? As in NH? If so, I had a hard time finding the sevin dust. Finally found it at Aubushon sp? TSC carries it, and usually Walmart, but this time of year, up here, they are all out. It was a week ago though, so they might have restocked since? I also can't find the permethrin at all...we had awful ticks the beginning of this year, the dear ticks, so was looking for the permethrin for my clothes...I think it would have to be online, but the sevin should be available locally...the 5% dust.
Best of luck, gave me the hebe jebies too!!!!
wink.png
The ticks that is...

edited for typo

Last edited:
Good news everyone.... they turned out to be lice... not mites... the cure is easy and we don't have to treat the environment.... only the birds... and lice won't suck blood.... only eats dead skin and stuff... so I'm less freaked out.... thanks goodness.... and there's much lower risk on chicks... only they get annoyed at night... so my idea of taking the eggs just before hatching is gone.. lol.... but that doesn't mean I'm not treating. ..  and natural efficient treatment are all around us....

Back
Top Bottom