HELLO AGAIN DEAR FRIENDS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Swbuda, May 8, 2009.

1. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Well, here it is, my run is going to be 85L X 55W.. I'm going to be using 4X4'S in the ground. Do I space them 8 or 10 foot apart for good strength? [​IMG] Here in Central Texas, the frost line doesn't go very far down, so I thought I might set the 4X4'S in cement about 2 feet down.. Think it's deep enough, Guys ? [​IMG] I will be using 2X4 wire and welded wire. I also plan to cover the top as we have hawks and owls.. I will also bury the wire 4-6 inches in the ground? Also, do you think I should add 4X4'S in the center for supports? Good? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. [​IMG] Shari

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

have no ideas whatsoever on your run ? but just wanted to tell you I TOTALLY agree with and appreciate your sig line! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    With the chance for high winds I'd put the corners deeper in the cement.

I'd also put some center posts in for support of your wire cover.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Heres my fencing, 4 x 4, 30" deep in concrete with welded wire, chickens locked up at night.

[​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Hello , I would space them 8' apart ad diffenetly adding posts in the middle, because it is wide run.
    Good Luck.

6. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    We just put a welded wire fence up and put 4" round posts 2-3 foot in the ground no cement 8' apart. Its holding up great...watched my GSD run right into it and bounce off today (shes still not all that use to the idea of a fence [​IMG])

7. Swbuda

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Thanks crtrlovr , I'm glad you like my sig. sign.. I like it, too..[​IMG]

8. Swbuda

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Snakeoil, your fence looks GREAT! [​IMG] So, 30" in the ground for the 4X4'S? Sounds good to me.. I'll go to Lowe's tomorrow and get started! I appreciate your input, too Omran.. I need all the help I can get.. We get 60 mph winds here on the hill.. I'm just an old lady, and I don't need my coop & run to up and blow away on me. Hee Hee.. [​IMG] Thanks.. I'll keep y'all posted.. Shari

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by