hello all

kelleyayers1

Songster
7 Years
Jan 29, 2017
norman oklahoma
My daughter and I are getting backyard chickens this year! A new type of pets for us! Already having difficulty in finding our chicken as we live in a city and no roosters are allowed and so many places not sexing the chicks. Anyone have any tips on this problem? Really dont want to risk getting a rooster or roosters and having to re home them after getting attached. Thanks!

Hi!

MyPetChicken and Meyers Hatchery will both sex chicks and will ship as few as 3 chicks once the weather warms up. :) I just ordered some from Meyers Hatchery myself!

Good luck!

G’Day from down under kelleyayers1
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, living in Aus, I am not familiar with the best places to purchase sexed chicks. However, have you chosen a breed you are interested in keeping? If not, you might consider Sex Links as the chicks are able to be gender identified at hatching I believe.

Or, unless you are keen on the whole chicks, brooder scenario, you could opt for young pullets close to point of lay?

Having read many posts in BYC, I am pretty sure you can buy sexed chicks from the major hatcheries but might have to pay a bit more for them. Anyways, I am sure someone in the US will pipe up with some good connections.

If you have not already checked it out, I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

and some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Finally, you might want to say hello on your local thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes to you, your daughter and your new feathered family when they arrive!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Welcome to BYC Kelley! :welcome

Hmm.You rin Oklaholma?Ok.You should try MPC, MyPetChicken.I have never ordered from them(plain to next year)but from what I've heard they sound great and you can order as FEW as 3 chicks!

Good Luck and Best Wishes to you!

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us and good luck finding the birds you want!

Welcome to BYC!

Most hatcheries and sellers only have a 90% accuracy rate for sexing day old chicks. You might want to look into Sex Links or autosexing breeds, that way you will definitely get females.

Great to have you with us!

Welcome to BYC!

Most hatcheries and sellers only have a 90% accuracy rate for sexing day old chicks. You might want to look into Sex Links or autosexing breeds, that way you will definitely get females.

Great to have you with us!

True.But al most ALL have a 90% accuracy, right?I mean, everyplace I have gotten them Uts been 90% and I've only gotten female :idunno:

Back
Top Bottom