Hello and a mating question!

G’Day from down under Robin :frow Welcome!

Aaaw, they are soooo cute!

Ducks go quack! There, you now have all of my duck knowledge so I am pleased you have received some good advice :clap

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. There are a couple specific to ducks.

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of your ducks, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all the replies and help!

To answer the questions, I did think he was over mating with her. I know when they mate it looks rather rough, but last year they mated once every few days. This year, they mate every day and I think more, but I think, I don’t know for sure. Pippin tries to run away more often than not, last year she didn’t. Giving her places to run around is a great idea! I was under the impression that so much mating was dangerous? If not, that is great and all my problems are solved!
I don’t mind them mating, if Pippin makes a nest and Lays eggs, I just replace them with fakes and let her sit on them.
They do have a ‘pool’, it’s not really big and more like a bathtub(it’s not in the ground, it’s just a big tub). They do mate in there, but lately it has been frozen a few times and I think they don’t like the cold water because I have seen them in it less then usual. They have been mating on the land too a few times. When I move out I want to give them a Nice pond with living plants for them to forage in, can’t Come too soon!
I am located in the Netherlands, I added it to my profile too:D The temperatures here range from a bit below freezing to 10 degrees Celsius a couple days ago.

Awesome. I suspect she probably just doesn't like it as much on hard ground, ya know?
I'm in the same boat with frozen pools. The girls are obviously much happier when they can get in the water.

Keep an eye on the back of her neck for feather loss. That will be your clue that he is being a little too amorous.

Awesome. I suspect she probably just doesn't like it as much on hard ground, ya know?
I'm in the same boat with frozen pools. The girls are obviously much happier when they can get in the water.

Keep an eye on the back of her neck for feather loss. That will be your clue that he is being a little too amorous.
Thank you so much! She still Has all her feathers, so I’ll just keep a close eye on them!

Back
Top Bottom