Hello, and First Egg

Hawgfan

Chirping
Aug 17, 2017
Imboden, AR
Long time lurker, commented a few times, but first time starting my own thread. I have always wanted some chickens to care for and to lay eggs (that weren't white!). I was never allowed to, because I grew up on a commercial broiler farm. The company my parents grew chickens for didn't allow domestic birds of any type on your property. My wife and I recently bought a house and farm that had an old chicken coop. With my children getting old enough to help and gain an appreciation of where their food actually comes from, I decided now was finally the time. I ordered 10 Barred Rock straight runs (they threw in an extra), 3 RIR pullets, and 3 Pekin ducks from Cackle. The BRs turned out to be 5 cockerels and 6 pullets. We've now cared for them since early May, and haven't lost any. Everything has went perfectly according to plan, thanks in large part to the knowledge I've gained here. I was surprised at how little I knew about raising chickens, having grown up with literally millions of them. I never gave the commercial operation much thought I guess. We've began culling the extra roos for meat, and have been amazed at the flavor and texture. At long last (19 weeks, 5 days to be exact) we got our first egg this weekend. Thanks again for all the great information that I continue to get from this community.
firstegg.JPG

Hello,

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Nice to meet you, congrats on your first egg. That is a very nice photo! And yes, your own eggs are always the best.
You will meet many friendly folks here with a lot of knowledge and personality. Ask as many questions as you'd like, we'd be glad to help.

Looking forward to hearing your stories and opinions!

Sincerely,
-The Angry Hen

:welcomethanks for the picture the first egg is always exciting!! We do the same to the roos and love the flavor and the fact that it is so much better for you then store bought.The eggs and the meat! We try to live off The land as much as we can with wild game and garden greens and The chickens only make living that way so much easier! Thanks again for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom