Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I'm pretty sure it's a cockerel, but it is not a silver duckwing. Silver duckwings shouldn't have any red on them. Hard to tell with the pictures but I would guess maybe a ginger or some cross?

I'm pretty sure it's a cockerel, but it is not a silver duckwing. Silver duckwings shouldn't have any red on them. Hard to tell with the pictures but I would guess maybe a ginger or some cross?

Thank you very much for your answer.
smile.png

I've been thinking cockerel too and when I asked the person I got it from, they said that silver duckwings are autosexing, so what I got is a pullet. I don't have any experience with the breed at all, so I didn't know what it was as far as coloring at this age. I just went by what I was told, which was that it's coloring indicated pullet.

I don't know, I've gotten some birds from this person in the past saying they're this, but finding out they're mixed (you could not tell with them when they were chicks, as their coloring hadn't come in until they started feathering out and this breed only comes in one color - not the colors mixed in with what I got). They're a nice person and I won't get into much detail, but, IMO, when you pay for a certain color or breed, that's what you should get. I'm only allowed females and I've fallen in love with this little OEGB, so I'm gonna be pretty upset if it is a cockerel, as I told this person what I was seeing and it didn't look like a pullet to me. This person insisted another bird in the past, that I was insisting was a cockerel, was a pullet too - I even brought it back to prove it. They still insisted it was a pullet, but it was another breed I don't have any experience with. Well it wasn't, it was a cockerel - hackles and saddle feathers started proving it was a cockerel and then it started crowing.

If this truly is a cockerel, this will be the straw that broke the camel's back, as if you're going to be selling a breed or particular color, you should know what you're selling and what you're talking about IMHO.

I'll try to get better pics and post 'em up, so maybe people can make things out better, as I know these pics are pretty blurry.

Quote:
I agree. He's a cockerel, and not a Silver Duckwing. He could be a bbred, but I'm not familiar with that variety.

Last edited:

I got these guys at the auction. I thought the roo was creole but after really looking I think he's golden duckwing crossed.... he's very beautiful! I love him! I'm just not sure what to do with them lol....

Quote:
Well, I did some more digging. I was told by the person I got him from to contact the person they got the birds from. So I did. The person they got the birds from said that no, it was not a silver duckwing, like you guys have also said, and that it was a cockerel (just like you guys said and I thought too).

So, I contact the person I got this bird from. I get the answer that they forgot the put the silver duckwings in with a group of other colors, Then I get that the were put in with a Silver Seabright. So I don't know if this is a mix of colors OEGB or a mixbreed.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy. This was a 2 hour trip one way, for one thing, and for another, it was to switch out a male (that I was also told was a female) for a female and I end up with a male again!!

The other thing that burns my butt is that I gave her a bunch of chicks 'cause this person agreed to take back any males, so I thought it was one favor for another. I didn't charge a dime for them. I thought they were keeping them 'cause they were going on about how much they wanted them 'cause they lost theirs. They turned around and sold them though. If I'd known they were going to do that, I would've kept another pullet out of the bunch. Then they suddenly stopped offering to take back any males, when I specifically told them I could only have pullets and they said she'd work with me on that.

It's just upsetting 'cause I really like this little guy. He's so very sweet. I can't keep any males though, so I'm gonna have to find a home for him.

All I know is that though this person has a lot on their plate and I feel sorry for them and understand that, I'll never do business with them again.

Anyway, thank you so much for you answer.
smile.png

What a pretty rooster! What ? color ? is this considered? Thats basically what it is right? OEB are called different names depending on their colors? I just got 3 bb red hens. i had no idea how awesome these little chickens were or even that they existed really. I thought they were japanese bantams with i bid on them. i am so new in the chicken world...please excuse my ignorance for a few weeks until i get caught up on researching chickens =)

I would LOVE to see a full view of your coop the roo is sitting on. i am trying to decide what the best type of coop is for them so i can get something built. right now they are inside my duck run in a predator proof coop i built for the ducklings.

Would someone please answer a question for me because I cant get a straight one through google.

What is the difference between a pullet and a hen?

What is the difference between a cockerel and a rooster?

Yes.... I am this new to chickens.

What a pretty rooster! What ? color ? is this considered?  Thats basically what it is right? OEB  are called different names depending on their colors? I just got 3 bb red hens. i had no idea how awesome these little chickens were or even that they existed really. I thought they were japanese bantams with i bid on them. i am so new in the chicken world...please excuse my ignorance for a few weeks until i get caught up on researching chickens =)   

I would LOVE to see a full view of your coop the roo is sitting on. i am trying to decide what the best type of coop is for them so i can get something built. right now they are inside my duck run in a predator proof coop i built for the ducklings. 

I have sent a PM. Ask anything you want :)

Would someone please answer a question for me because I cant get a straight one through google.

What is the difference between a pullet and a hen?

What is the difference between a cockerel and a rooster?

Yes.... I am this new to chickens.
A pullet is a female chicken that is a year old or younger. Some people will consider them hens as soon as they start laying while others don't count them as hens until after the year mark. Same with the cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom