Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

He looks good.I got to see some of Wayne's last year in Haynesville.I have pretty high hopes for some of these BB Red's this year.I know the males will be much better as cocks but I hope to have a few that will show as cockerels this year.

Quote:
I have the one of the cockrells and pullets from haynesville last year that wayne was showing, as well as another pair from wayne later in the year, I had this line from another gentleman and a few from a third line. The cockrell above was from Odell McDaniels birds, I have been crossing these with wayne's line to improve the black color in teh McDaniel birds and shorten leg in Wayne's at the same time. So far I have some that will make for good breeder birds and this Cockrell and 4 pullets from teh last pullet I got from wayne that will likely be shown this fall.

Quote:
i cull early... at about a week or less, i compare backs and only keep the ones with the shortest backs... i also look at tail angle, but i let them mature just to make sure... they just don't get a pull tie yet... then usually at 4-5 weeks, i know what bird is a hold back, and which one is a cull...

Quote:
You can begin to cull for type problems such as leg length earlier, breast width at around 14-16 weeks. For the Buff color wait untill at least 16 weeks as Buff is the toughest color to get right.
We start culling at hatch, and each week there after. Number of points on comb, leg length, body width, weight, obvious color issues etc. the birds that make it get better every year.
just keep in mind Type First color is secondary, and can always be worked on once type is there, with out proper type they're just birds not OE

Last edited:
Thank you!

So I have a question for all you serious breeders. What is the ideal housing set up for your birds? I have to make all my breeding pens and want a good design to use! What do you find works best?

Back
Top Bottom