Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Would anyone know what color this is then and what I could expect for chicks from him? I have a hen that is about the same color (hatchery says chocolate), a blue hen, a black hen and some spangles. Would it be possible to get blue spangles? Thanks for any help.
Using Silver Duckwing over Blue can provide a bird that looks similar to silver Blue, the Chocolate is made by mating a fawn duckwing sport to a black or a splash to Fawn duckwing, the silver coming from the duckwing and the crowing appearance coming from the Blue/ Black / splash. No telling for certian what you have test matings could be ran to find out. Place over a Silver Duckwing hen if 1/2 are silver duckwing then you will know, if none are duckwing in pattern then he could be silver Blue,

Anyone know which page has the "formula" for starting a line with a trio. I can't seem to find it. Thanks
Gena, It is fairly simple..
Cock and hen 1 = pen 1
Cock and Hen 2 = Pen 2
Take pullets from each pen the first year place with the cock the second year.
Take a cockrell from Pen 1 place with the hen and pullets from Pen 2
Take a cockrell from Pen 2 and place with the hen and peullets from Pen 1.

That gets you through the first two years..

i thought a silver blue would be a blue breasted silver duckwing... I have a couple of these chicks (no idea on sex yet), from silver duckwing hen and barred blue breasted gold duckwing roo.

i've had several others in the past and they were very attractive, but i can't find the pics.

edit: i guess it could be birchen (crow wing) or duckwing, depending on whether the roo has the wing patch (duckwing), or the hen has the salmon breast and red/brown body (vs black/blue for birchen)
Silver Blue is a Blue Birchen.. Blue Silver Duckwing is a nother variety.

One of my Silver Blue Pullets next to a Birchen pullet as an example.

A better shot of the Birchen Pullet,

hey buddy, how is your cream blue duckwing progect goin?(using recessive ig cream instead of sex link silver) or is that Sjarvis?
We used a Cream Cockrell over BB Red hens and Silver Duckwing Hens both with good results in pullets so far.. Looking at the males now and choosing next years breeders to move forward..

How have you been?

We used a Cream Cockrell over BB Red hens and Silver Duckwing Hens both with good results in pullets so far.. Looking at the males now and choosing next years breeders to move forward..

How have you been?
I´m doing fine thanks, I have already isolated dominant Dilute in one Blue ER looking cokerel(ER/eWh with some unexpected melanizers found on the buff hen I used to extract the Dominant dilute gene Di) Di is also a pheomelanin diluter like recessive ig cream, I will be using BB game hens to isolate Di even further(I want none of the hidden buff genetics, just Di) I wonder why did you use Silver duckwing hens? a silver duckwing hen/rooster with Di its going to look Silver...

so you have already mated F1 x F1 that carry the recessive ig gene?

Last edited:
I´m doing fine thanks, I have already isolated dominant Dilute in one Blue ER looking cokerel(ER/eWh with some unexpected melanizers found on the buff hen I used to extract the Dominant dilute gene Di) Di is also a pheomelanin diluter like recessive ig cream, I will be using BB game hens to isolate Di even further(I want none of the hidden buff genetics, just Di) I wonder why did you use Silver duckwing hens? a silver duckwing hen/rooster with Di its going to look Silver...

so you have already mated F1 x F1 that carry the recessive ig gene?
No this was the F1 generation just now about 6 months old and starting to mature.. We used both under a cream light brown dutch cock bird just for a good bit of genetic diversity for the start none of the silver x males will be used only the females. The end goal is a true breeding Golden Duckwing then introduce the Blue gene to the mix but the path the boys are on I assume they will also want to introduce Fawn as that has been thier new kick this year.
Congrats on Dom. Dilute.. I know that was a long time coming..

Last edited:
Gena, It is fairly simple..
Cock and hen 1 = pen 1
Cock and Hen 2 = Pen 2
Take pullets from each pen the first year place with the cock the second year.
Take a cockrell from Pen 1 place with the hen and pullets from Pen 2
Take a cockrell from Pen 2 and place with the hen and peullets from Pen 1.

That gets you through the first two years..
Thanks so much!!!

No this was the F1 generation just now about 6 months old and starting to mature.. We used both under a cream light brown dutch cock bird just for a good bit of genetic diversity for the start none of the silver x males will be used only the females. The end goal is a true breeding Golden Duckwing then introduce the Blue gene to the mix but the path the boys are on I assume they will also want to introduce Fawn as that has been thier new kick this year.
Congrats on Dom. Dilute.. I know that was a long time coming..
oh I get it now, infact I would say I may go this rout myself, why? well very few silver duckwing hens carry autosomal red, elininating the need to getting rid of autosomal red that will enhance the shoulders on the boys, I would love to have an even cream/golden colored bird instead of cream saddle and hackle but with redish shoulders..

Back
Top Bottom