Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

ok, i'm finding oeg breeders seem to have a more solid grasp of genetics than any other group of breeders, in general.

here's an odd question maybe. what mutations would be involved, to create the following line? pasted from the breed description. this is different than the SOP specifies for 'colored' dorkings, but is the goal i'm looking for.

i'm thinking dominant dilute, Di, with Ml (melanizing)? but what am i missing? or am i missing anything?
is there a oegb that matches the description above? if so what's it called?

Last edited:
ok, i'm finding oeg breeders seem to have a more solid grasp of genetics than any other group of breeders, in general.

here's an odd question maybe. what mutations would be involved, to create the following line? pasted from the breed description. this is different than the SOP specifies for 'colored' dorkings, but is the goal i'm looking for.

i'm thinking dominant dilute, Di, with Ml (melanizing)? but what am i missing? or am i missing anything?
is there a oegb that matches the description above? if so what's it called?
it could be recessive cream like a cream dutch bantam... Dominant Dilute has not been worked on so much as recessive cream, some believe the brassy backs carry Di(domiant Dilute) Blackdotte believes Di is on the cream/straw looking brassy backs..

Brassy Back e+/e+ s+/s+ Ar+/Ar+ Di/Di Ml/Ml

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=101453#Post101453

Last edited:
It would appear to be a crowing of some type given the absence of a wing bay description, however the shafting has me thrown for a loop, I am not aware of any OE that would meet that desrciption.

I recognize these two pictures from Craigslist. They are really pretty little birds.
Had far too many had to get rid of some.. Still have far too many but will not be letting anything else go till mid-late september. Then only in limited numbers until show season hits then will likely sell the birds in the show rather than bring them home. Most were timed hatches to support specific show dates and teh extra females from male ( early ) matings and extra males from female(later ) matings is what has left to this point.

It would appear to be a crowing of some type given the absence of a wing bay description, however the shafting has me thrown for a loop, I am not aware of any OE that would meet that desrciption.
actually, it is a duckwing variety, the SOP states it, the description i pasted is from the 'modern' description of a colored dorking. not the SOP description (which makes no mention of any red at all). most colored dorkings i've seen don't even have the hackle striping described in SOP or the currently accepted variation. i'm trying to figure out what genetics would go into that, and see if there's an oegb that matches even remotely, besides a golden duckwing, which won't breed true and doesn't have the darker markings mentioned.

DSC_0244.JPG

not my bird, but the color is right, except the hackle striping. the hen is pretty close, but still off too.

Had far too many had to get rid of some.. Still have far too many but will not be letting anything else go till mid-late september. Then only in limited numbers until show season hits then will likely sell the birds in the show rather than bring them home. Most were timed hatches to support specific show dates and teh extra females from male ( early ) matings and extra males from female(later ) matings is what has left to this point.

Will you be making the drive to Amarillo for the Tri-State Fair this fall?

Last edited:
actually, it is a duckwing variety, the SOP states it, the description i pasted is from the 'modern' description of a colored dorking. not the SOP description (which makes no mention of any red at all). most colored dorkings i've seen don't even have the hackle striping described in SOP or the currently accepted variation. i'm trying to figure out what genetics would go into that, and see if there's an oegb that matches even remotely, besides a golden duckwing, which won't breed true and doesn't have the darker markings mentioned.

not my bird, but the color is right, except the hackle striping. the hen is pretty close, but still off too.
The hens look similar to a Brassy Back in pattern, and the male is likely Golden but could be cream based with the addition of autosonomal red. could easily be a melanised golden duckwing.

it could be recessive cream like a cream dutch bantam... Dominant Dilute has not been worked on so much as recessive cream, some believe the brassy backs carry Di(domiant Dilute) Blackdotte believes Di is on the cream/straw looking brassy backs..

Brassy Back e+/e+ s+/s+ Ar+/Ar+ Di/Di Ml/Ml

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=101453#Post101453
ok refresh my memory? i know Di is dilute, Ml = melanized, but what is Ar+? I know from researching, that the + means it's not a mutation but part of the 'normal' genome, and being capitalized, the 'normal' is dominant...

there are WAY too many chicken mutations/alleles to keep track of. LOL

He's almost done growing. I also need to give him a trim. I did my boy's 4-H bird yesterday and all went well. My little girl kept saying "he's dead". LOL Bought an awesome pair of scissors. Worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom